Google Fiber Upgrade May Offer 10 Gbps To US Households

Google Fiber, Google's ISP arm, is planning to upgrade the network to allow for 10 Gbps Internet connections to US households. The company, well known in the tech domain for their ridiculous obsession for speeds in all of their offerings, currently offers 1 Gbps network in Kansas City, Provo and is soon planning to launch it in Austin, TX. USA Today reports that Google engineers are already busy working on new technology that will allow them to up the speeds by almost 10x. Google's CFO, Patrick Pichette informed that the company may soon start offering 10 Gbps speeds and called it 'the next generation of the Internet'.

Pichette said that the world is upgrading to higher Internet speeds and people may move over to 10 Gbps networks over the next decade. Google's trying to make it all happen in the next 3 years. 1 Gbps might be just too fast for the rest of the world, but US isn't #1 in the list of countries with the fastest average Internet connection speeds. Akamai had reported that the average Internet speed in the United States is about 8.6 Mbps. That puts the US at #9 in the global list of countries with the fastest Internet connections; with South Korea topping the list at 14.2 Mbps.

Google-Fiber-10Gbps

It's not clear how soon Google will be able to offer upgrade. It's likely that Google will offer the upgrade over the existing infrastructure and only the devices at the end of fiber lines may require an upgrade. No comment was made on the pricing because the plan is still being worked out. We'd hope Google might want to expand their reach in the US first than upgrade the speeds.

In the mean time, the engineers are already getting ready the Ready for 100 Gbps wireless Internet? [PS: It's world's first!]. South Korea has announced that they'll launch 5G Network Rollout In South Korea In 2017 - Download 800 Mb In A Second by 2017 with Samsung demonstrating that 1 Gbps download speed is possible over wireless for commercial deployment.

India to has seen its own 1Gbps link at the 1 Gbps Internet line in Kerala's Startup Village. In addition, 1 Gbps Ultra High Speed Broadband In India In 2013 has announced their plans to offer 1Gbps network in all major cities in India in the coming months.

We look forward to all your thoughts on Google Fiber and High Speed Internet.

Via: Google working on 10 gigabit Internet speeds

Replies

• Nayan Goenka
    Nayan Goenka
    I read the statement released 2 days before that Google is no doubtedly developing this system but they do not have plans to launch it yet in near future. It is still under R&D it seems
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Nayan Goenka
    I read the statement released 2 days before that Google is no doubtedly developing this system but they do not have plans to launch it yet in near future. It is still under R&D it seems
    They do plan to release it in the next ~3 years (estimated). Their CFO has confirmed it.
  • Nayan Goenka
    Nayan Goenka
    If that is the case then I don't see the point. They are just converting it in a race. The 1 Gbps line is also not yet properly available to all

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

With the trend of wearable technology setting in, Hind Hobeika felt the need of developing a heart rate monitoring device for her swimming practices. She launched Instabeat in 2011. Instabeat...
A week ahead of the Mobile World Congress 2014, Korean device vendor LG has announced the new L-series L90, L70 and L40 smartphones, which stretch from mid range to the...
Hey i want syllabus of sail for ece branch. I searched everywhere on the net but i didn't find it so please can u tell me the link or u...
Do you keep forgetting or misplacing things? Well, check out Bringrr, a mobile charger for your car which will remind you if you've not carried things like your phone, wallet,...
Philips has started testing an intelligent lighting system that will help users find their way across shopping centres using their smartphones. The pilot project is currently operational at a Euroshop...