Google Chrome on uBuntu 10.04 - is FAST!

Google has just released the beta version (beta 5.0.375.29) of Chrome and I'm toying with it on my uBuntu 10.04 installation. Google's claim, that its faster than the fastest Opera (10.10). The browser took about 3 minutes to download on my EV-DO connection and installation took another 20 seconds. However, the browser is lightening fast since then. Upon clicking the Chrome icon in Applications -> Internet - Google Chrome, the browser takes less than 2 seconds to appear on screen. Browse any website and you can notice the difference for yourself, without needing a stopwatch. Google claims to have made significant improvements in Chrome's speed with 30% and 35% improvement on the V8 and SunSpider benchmarks over the previous beta channel release.  Google further mentions that "In fact, looking back in time, Chrome’s performance has improved by as much as 213% and 305% on these two benchmarks since our very first beta.” The first beta release was in September of 2008. Not even 2 years ago. Check out following cool video about Chrome's Speed Test:

Replies

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

The first major decision Jason Rosenthal took after replacing Gina Bianchini was to reduce the workforce by 40%. The second major decision was to get rid of the free community...
In one of my earlier post, I had talked about a secret feature that is soon to go live on CE. The feature is no longer secret - we will...
I used to be a Yahoo fanboy. I remember the days when Yahoo did everything for me - Search, Email, Hosting, Chatting...just everything. I used to think Yahoo's got it...
Few days ago, Yahoo's advertising team published an advertisement indirectly criticizing Google of presenting users with a simple search page that does not talk back to you. While I personally...
CEans, We are happy to review Mr. Ajay Mohan Jain's debu novel, "Nothing Can Be As Crazy" about the curious ways of life in urban middle-class. The novel has figured...