GNOME 3.8 Released

The GNOME Project has finally released GNOME 3.8 today. GNOME 3.8 is the result of 6 months of hard-work 35936 contributions by around 1K people. This latest version of GNOME 3.8 is delivering Faster Interface,New Application,Major New features to enrich the GUI Interface with small bug fixes & enhancements.

GNome
Some New Features of GNOME 3.8 :​
  • Application Launcher :
New Application launching view is designed.It includes "Frequent" Tab which includes most recently used application list.​
The other tab "All" includes all installed applications & new group of applications with in it.​
applications-view
  • Privacy & Sharing :
The group of new privacy & sharing setting are introduced to make Gnome more secure than ever.The privacy option under settings has been re-tweaked.​
Using new privacy settings you can control who has access to what files,tracking the activity & how much information on the screen should be visible.​
settings-privacy
  • Classic Mode :
The new feature for the people who loved old-school panel-up layout.Unlike other, it's really not forked but it's been built entirely using Gnome technologies inside the Gnome 3.So, while using classic mode you're not going to lose the new features which you always lose in forked ones.​
How cute !​
classic-mode
  • Revamped Search :
Searching from "Activities" has been revamped with new search settings.The new search settings provides the control over the order of the of application in the search list.​
You can tune the result pops under "settings" pane.​
search
  • Details :
Around 58-62 smaller bugs were fixed, resulting in new animation transitions, improved visuals & usability fixes. These bug-fixing/improvement was part of "every detail matter" initiative - GNOME craves for Perfection,No shit!​
details
  • Web :
The engine of the default Gnome browser a.k.a Web has been changed to WebKit2 making broswer faster & more secure.​
-WebKit2 includes new plugin system thus making Web to support Flash.​
-The Toolbar includes new "Tab" button​
-Page search interface revamped​
-"Undo close tab" option has been added. How convenient!​
web
  • New Applications :
Two applications - Desktop weather App & New Note-Taking Applications are introduced.​
new-apps
  • Documents :
Document management app has impressed me by far with Google Docs/Google drive integration.​
The Page layout has been improved with nice looking documents & dual page mode.Also including navigation within application making browsing of the documents easier.​
documents-overview
  • Some Other Noticed Updates :
- "Files" have been improved which includes some options within it for viewing it as "view files" & "folders within tree".​
- Support for creating & modifying RAID Arrays.It is capable of shutting off the disk & a new selection mode for performing actions for multiple tasks.​
- "Super+N" key has been added which allows you to focus on notification when it is popped, allowing chats using Empathy quite easy.​
- Using shortcut "Super+M", Message tray is popped on the screen.A notification panels allows you to tweak the GUI of GNOME 3.8 further as you want.​
Gosh! I love GNOME.
Credit : #-Link-Snipped-#​

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I see OSX inspiration out there. Isn't the Application Launcher based on Unity?
  • Anand Tamariya
    Anand Tamariya
    Kaustubh Katdare
    OSX is BSD linux - so it's rather other way round!
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Anand Tamariya
    - Yeah, I had read that somewhere. I thought OSX implements its own GUI. Never used BSD though.
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Unity is shell interface,While Gnome is Desktop environment - Can't compare 'em.
    BTW,Gnome has it's own shell merged with Gnome DE long before Ubuntu launched it's unity for Ubuntu 11.04
    Ubuntu don't have their DE,it's just shell interface.

Anand Tamariya
    Not entirely!
    Though FBSD network stacks are still seen in Mac OS X,rest everything is recoded & made proprietary.
  • Anand Tamariya
    Anand Tamariya
    Though FBSD network stacks are still seen in Mac OS X,rest everything is recoded & made proprietary.
    Where's the proof that "rest everything is recoded"? If Apple could recode, they would use their own OS and not choose Linux.
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Anand Tamariya
    If Apple could recode, they would use their own OS and not choose Linux.
    Apple have never ever used Linux,they used BSD.(Even though BSD & Linux both are Unix-like OS,they both can differ in plenty of aspects)Now why they preferred BSD over Linux ? License issues!
    FBSD runs under BSD License which is very liberal, while Linux is under GPLv2.0 which is not so liberal as BSD.

As per GPLv2.0,if I use any source code which is under GPLv2.0, it must remain same license as it's original source i.e. GPLv2.0 - Ofcourse,Apple didn't wanted their OS to be opensource,they wanted it to be Proprietary.
    So,they used BSD which was under BSD License & that doesn't have any strict rules on licensing after using/tweaking original source code.

^ This is proof why Apple re-coded almost everything of BSD & licensed it for themselves & made it closed source.
  • Anand Tamariya
    Anand Tamariya
    My point was Apple developed OSX on top of open source software - notwithstanding the difference between BSD and Linux. Where in BSD licensing does it say one has to rewrite complete OS to make it commercial? One can take the source as is and still sell it under one's license. Check put page 2 of this doc #-Link-Snipped-#

This product includes software developed by the University of California, Berkeley, FreeBSD, Inc., The NetBSD Foundation, Inc., and their respective contributors.
    This fine print is missed by most Apple fanboys and they take it as Gospel truth that whatever innovative has been done, is done by Apple.
  • Pensu
    Pensu
    Wow! Gotta download it. Too bad I was using unity till now....😉
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Pensu
    Wow! Gotta download it. Too bad I was using unity till now....😉
    It's been shipped with GNOME Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail on 24th April.
    I doubt that GNOME 3.8 is supported in Precise Pangolin. 😳
  • Pensu
    Pensu
    Hmmm.....just checked it. Well, will have to wait!
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Pensu
    Hmmm.....just checked it. Well, will have to wait!
    ~$ sudo apt-get update && upgrade
    ~$ sudo do-release-upgrade 😉
  • Pensu
    Pensu
    Not doing it! I am happy with LTS. Though I am thinking about an alternative to ubuntu, where I could use GNOME. Any suggestions?
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Pensu
    Not doing it! I am happy with LTS. Though I am thinking about an alternative to ubuntu, where I could use GNOME. Any suggestions?
    Fedora 18 Spherical Cow, Fedora 18's reviews aren't that good though.
    You will curse Fedora the moment you will see new installation method.

You can go for Opensuse 12.3 or Debian 6.0.6.
  • Pensu
    Pensu
    I have read reviews of Fedora 18 and boy, they were really awful! Looks like its time to go back to Opensuse...😀
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Pensu
    I have read reviews of Fedora 18 and boy, they were really awful! Looks like its time to go back to Opensuse...😀
    Dude,I just booted Ubuntu 13.04 Unity flavour.

Good News : Unity 7.0 is bloody fast with plenty of cool-features.I might move to Unity from GNOME !

Bad News : Only 9-months of support cycle i.e. Ubuntu 13.04 support cycle will end before 12.10 👎

You must try in live-mode for once !
  • Pensu
    Pensu
    Abhishek Rawal
    Dude,I just booted

Good News : Unity 7.0 is bloody fast with plenty of cool-features.I might move to Unity from GNOME !
    Haha.....that sounds good. I am gonna try it, for sure....😀
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Pensu
    Haha.....that sounds good. I am gonna try it, for sure....😀
    It's in Beta-2 so there might be small bugs wandering around.

After trying Raring,do give your review on it 😀
  • Pensu
    Pensu
    Yeah, I guess they are releasing it on 25th. Sure, actually there is a strike going on in my college, all access to labs are banned! Anyways, I will try to get it asap...😀
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Pensu
    Yeah, I guess they are releasing it on 25th. Sure, actually there is a strike going on in my college, all access to labs are banned! Anyways, I will try to get it asap...😀
    Awesome 😁
  • Anand Tamariya
    Anand Tamariya
    Pensu
    If you are tired of frequent Ubuntu upgrades, try aptosid or debian.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hello sir,How can Backup and Restore Databases in mysqldump using MySQL server5.0 with java.Please help and give me Sourcecode in java.
I'm sure there are very few among them who're proud of their handwriting skills (I'm certainly not, but I try to improve) and you might draw your inspiration from this...
A recent TOI article says that Indian e-commerce is in dire need of money. Companies like Flipkart and other major ecommerce players would find it difficult to survive unless they...
My friend Asif sent this: (Click on vimeo.com link in blue) Long live paper!
I need some innovative ideas ,pls tell me some ideas.