Globalization and it de-humanisation effects

CEans making the world a playground and a better place to live in.I think as responsible CEans,it is very important to discuss what are the evil effects of globalization.We have already been enjoying the cream of globalisation.. the services.Getting a bunch of brands from different countries for a single thing you want to buy under one roof.Information exchange is the best possible benefit of globalisation according to me.Movement of people from one country to other in search of better employment opportunity.So are the developed getting the better chunk of people and the developing getting deprived of the best? Is it not a negetive impact of globalization? What do you feel?๐Ÿ˜’

Replies

• no_atkt
    no_atkt
    whats wrong with globalisation ...

i didnt understand what do u mean by developed getting more and under-developed getting less ... the whole idea of globalisation is to provide everything to every1 and who can afford to buy a louis vitton bag can buy it
  • integratdbrains
    integratdbrains
    my mistake no_atkt. I meant the developed countries getting the better human reasources and the developing countries still striving to make an identity with the available chunk.got it now?
  • no_atkt
    no_atkt
    integratdbrains
    better human reasources
    as in skilled labour .... well if ur reffering to skilled labour then there is a global shortage of man power ... india is facing major shortage of man power and let me tell u that it is a mis-conception that globalisation is causing brain-drain ....

but with globalisation for eg. walmart coming to india think about the massive employment it creates ... at the stores, managing the stores, logistics of goods .... globalisation leads the develping closer to the developed and it is the govt in poer to realise this and enable full scale privatization and globalisation which will result in producing more skilled HR
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    no_atkt
    as in skilled labour .... well if ur reffering to skilled labour then there is a global shortage of man power ... india is facing major shortage of man power and let me tell u that it is a mis-conception that globalisation is causing brain-drain ....

but with globalisation for eg. walmart coming to india think about the massive employment it creates ... at the stores, managing the stores, logistics of goods .... globalisation leads the develping closer to the developed and it is the govt in poer to realise this and enable full scale privatization and globalisation which will result in producing more skilled HR
    Objection ! ๐Ÿ˜€

Walmart coming to India (or any other developing country) would generate employment (Good). It will also decimate the smaller, local players (bad), thus generating even more unemployment (that's my common-sense powered thinking says. I may be wrong).

a mis-conception that globalisation is causing brain-drain ....
    It would be better if you elaborate your point.

-The Big K-
  • no_atkt
    no_atkt
    The_Big_K
    Objection ! ๐Ÿ˜€
    It will also decimate the smaller, local players (bad), thus generating even more unemployment (that's my common-sense powered thinking says. I may be wrong).
    sorry to say but a very Communist thought .... not every1 can go to walmart ... walmart is not gonna come on every nukkad besides if thats teh case y allow tata to come with croma or reliance to come with their retail market or spencer or food bazar or .... i can on with the list .... there is a food bazar near my house there is another retail market near my house but i also have the shop wala below to whom i go to frequently .... so this is business
  • integratdbrains
    integratdbrains
    Lets take it a bit further.

Yes No_atkt I agree with you.Lets not confine ourselves to India only.Lets consider all the developing countries like africa which are targeted by growing HIV + patients. Walmart entering in new market is completely ok from walmarts perspective its gonna tap the major market available in india.But what benefit is it going to give to the major population?(in case of india its Rural which is dominated by agriculture as occupation.) or for that matter what do we do about the culture of India.I hope we can see that gen y in India is influenced by western culture.๐Ÿ˜€

P.S i am not against Globaliztion.But want to bring to light the dehumanising effects of globalization.I hope someone can help me in figuring out the negative effects.๐Ÿ˜’
  • crook
    crook
    no_atkt
    sorry to say but a very Communist thought .... not every1 can go to walmart ... walmart is not gonna come on every nukkad besides if thats teh case y allow tata to come with croma or reliance to come with their retail market or spencer or food bazar or .... i can on with the list .... there is a food bazar near my house there is another retail market near my house but i also have the shop wala below to whom i go to frequently .... so this is business
    I want to take bigge's point further. You may take example of Food Bazzar (the Indian version of Wal-Mart). Today, they buy the products from the manufactueres at lowest prizes & sell at the cheapest prices around. Compare the prices offered by Big Bazzar or Food Bazzar with those offered by others smaller competitiors. Not even that, they offer the best price for the scrap that you sell them.

Btw, everyone goes to Wal Mart & Big/Food Bazzar. They want everyone to come to them.

Considering integratedbrain's point, it is okay as long as a local company is doing that. Country's money remains with itself. Come foreigners, they will kill local businesses & steal the money.
  • integratdbrains
    integratdbrains
    Hey group we are again restricting ourselves to retailing.. please don't consider only retailing. Globalization has started way back in 80's.When the booming IT sector initiated cross culture business.
  • no_atkt
    no_atkt
    im heartbroken to see that most of us have a communist view point ... if i take your view then in that case i shouldnt be going and buying any non-indegenous product be it a car or a soap bar if a big fish comes it certainly threatens the smaller ones it doesnt mean the big fish shouldnt be allowed if that were the case kingfisher shouldnt have been allowed to start airlines coz it then threatens deccan or spice or the other "smaller" players .... employment and wealth is being generated like anything .... agriculture ... reliance if im not mistaken has adopted the amul way and gone directly to supplier to procure what it is gonna sell .... bharti has also i think restarted its retail business

and globalisation is not restricted to retail segment globalisation have u forgotten tata-corrus

and as far as we being influenced by the west .... iv been hearing that since learned to understand english and when i look at myself or others around me i do see people having better hair styles wearing shorter clothes (though im against it as it is a big distraction to us students) but i dont find values going the west way ....
  • Mayur Pathak
    Mayur Pathak
    no_atkt

Your view point is excellent. At least I'm with you. People, globalization is not about the business being done by an Indian/local or a foreign company. By globalisation, we mean that you treat the entire world as one single market. There are no boundries, no restrictions. However this is an ideal market scenario which does not exist today, but we are on course.

Most of you are/would be working in IT industry. Even my job requires me to get contracts and projects out sourced for my company. The MNCs give us work, because in the end we are making their work simpler by developing cost saving technology solutions on platforms that they designed for us. And we get highly paid for it. We spend this money again on products and services these MNCs are selling to us. By "MNC" I mean the bigger companies. It could be any one from a TATA to a Walmart or from an Infosys to an EDS. Any business should never be restricted to its own country.

Crook I disagree that the foreign players kill us. When some one like Walmart comes to India, they may force your next door grocer to shut down. But look at the supplementary and complementary businesses they generate. We can not ignore the burgeoning supply chain that works with food bazaar. An opportunity can never be killed, its only shifted.

We can not condemn foreign players in local market and at the same time welcome a TATA or a Hindalco acquiring a competitor outside India. I recommed you guys read "The world is flat" by Thomas Friedmann.
  • no_atkt
    no_atkt
    man who cares about the next dorr grocer when walmart's gonna give u levis as low as 200/- ๐Ÿ˜
  • integratdbrains
    integratdbrains
    Exactly.

Look at your attitude no_atkt towards next door groccers,what should i say? A very so-called practical view towards the upcoming market scenario(for self interest) or a very inhuman attitude towards the next door groccer!๐Ÿ˜’
  • no_atkt
    no_atkt
    look man its not my fault if some 1 opens a shop and starts selling something quality at a lower rate why not .... i would love to see all the grocers get together and start an amul like organisation

an d besides thats not my attitude its the indian attitude
  • integratdbrains
    integratdbrains
    Think lateral and think different

Oh hello.. Please atleast on this thread we are 4 indians 2 for globalisation and 2 very not so happy with all that globalisation offers... so you see you can not generally pass a statement of 'That is an Indian attitude! '! ๐Ÿ˜
  • no_atkt
    no_atkt
    so let me get this straight that only because of the grocers u dont want india to be a global player .... thats wierd man and when i say grocers i mean the small time businessmen
  • integratdbrains
    integratdbrains
    Let me try to add (i know that will be invain!) a different perspective to your view.Are you not trying to bais your view by thinking that only walmarts or for that matter big MNCs will help the developing countries sustain?

(i have purposely highlighted the word please i think you are baising your view.let the discussion be a good one.)
  • no_atkt
    no_atkt
    no im not talking only about walmart .. yes the first couple of posts were .... but think about it as stated before tata taking over corrus and there have been many more overseas overtakes by indians thanx to globalisation ...

thanx to globalisation there is a huge FDI man ...
  • integratdbrains
    integratdbrains
    Ok let me ask you a few questions that will lead to a better view of what i am trying to explain you.
    Could you tell me what is the population of India(sorry for limiting this to India taken this eg for simplicity)
    what is the proportion of India residing in Rural India?
    How many Rural Indians now what is walmart and how are they benefited by walmart entering into India?
    (every question is trying to make the concept and view more simpler.. no baises from my side!๐Ÿ˜€ )

This is it for today.see you tomorrow.Hope tomorrow's sun brings a bit more extra light with him! ๐Ÿ˜‰
  • no_atkt
    no_atkt
    hey integrated brains ... dis-integrate it to undersatnd that im not talking only about wallmart and people coming to india walmart is only an example globalisation is 2 ways ... indian companies are also going out ....
  • Mayur Pathak
    Mayur Pathak
    Hey people,

Instead of settling your own scores, I think its better if you add value to the discussion.

Can any one comment on where is India heading in this current wave of Globalization?

• no_atkt
    no_atkt
    globalisation:

as posted earlier by members who r against globalisation that allowing companies like walmart will hamper the smaller players .... 1 question:

did the vada pav die because of the burger ..... guess what the vada pav just got better ... we got jumbo king ๐Ÿ˜

now going beyond tata and walmart:

globalisation has brought in so much of employment eg: call centres
    it is due to globalisation that indian companies have the belief in them that they can sue foreigners for patent infringement and win also

the biggest effect of globalisation:

it made the world's most powerful country change its laws for india ....

and also i had earlier mentioned about the FDI

also not to forget that now it is becoming easier and easier for indians to go abroad for studies

thats all a little tired from college ... reply to this and will continue my case
  • no_atkt
    no_atkt
    mayurpathak
    Hey people,

Instead of settling your own scores, I think its better if you add value to the discussion.

Can any one comment on where is India heading in this current wave of Globalization?

the debate is not limited to only members mods and admins can also participate .... i expect contribution from the admin and mods rather than they just refereein the whole thing
  • integratdbrains
    integratdbrains
    well no_atkt but I would like if you try answering my questions before.
  • integratdbrains
    integratdbrains

Well let me correct you.The reforms,laws and regulations were changed from rigid to a very loose regulation so globalisation could occur.Remember 1970's coca was not allowed entry in India. ๐Ÿ˜Ž
  • no_atkt
    no_atkt
    integratdbrains

Well let me correct you.The reforms,laws and regulations were changed from rigid to a very loose regulation so globalisation could occur.Remember 1970's coca was not allowed entry in India. ๐Ÿ˜Ž
    lack of knowledge is dangerous as stated before ... im reffering to the nuke deal inked between india and the US where the US was forced to chnage its laws only for india cuase it knows india is now a very powerful country globally
  • integratdbrains
    integratdbrains
    Ok...

Even i was thinking that inability to converse in english,speaking in tits and bits and expecting the other person to understand what you are referring to without actually conveying is termed as 'inability to communicate'.I am happy that i didnot had to talk in shortcuts and ๐Ÿ˜‰ i am conforming to the rules of CE! ๐Ÿ˜€

Moral of the story:
    Colleges should be rigid on its rules as in the corporates.๐Ÿ˜

And i suppose lack of knowledge is keeping someone away from answering some important question which might give the discussion a different perspective(to conform to the topic mentioned,also mentioned in my earlier posts.)
  • no_atkt
    no_atkt
    how much of rural india will benefit from walmart - only time can tell .... as of now immidiate effect none

but do u live in rural india?

is globalisation only walmart i have cited more than 5 other benefits of globalisation after a lot of persisteance by the "editor in chief" and u for going beyond walmart but u for some reason seem to be a liitle to excited about knowing more about bharti-walmart's entry and its effect in and on india

as i said before - dis integrate ur brains and think ahead

i have pointed out so many other pros of globalisation but u still seem to be stuck on walmart

and there in i find an answer to ur small grocer problem .... walmart comes here small grocers go there ... so lets keeop talking about walmart and also touch upon the othe factors

you
    Even i was thinking that inability to converse in english,speaking in tits and bits and expecting the other person to understand what you are referring to without actually conveying is termed as 'inability to communicate'
    u seem to call it inability to communicate i call it lack of knowledge of today ... u seem to hav more knowledge of 1970 than about 2006-07

you
    Moral of the story:
    Colleges should be rigid on its rules as in the corporates.
    ๐Ÿ˜•
  • thisisananth
    thisisananth
    Very interesting discussion...
    Globalization is occurring to reduce costs - To the producer of goods and services as well as the consumers. And who are going to be hurt - the middlemen - People who used to make money by providing some value by connecting the producers and consumers. If another company can do that efficiently then so be it. The end consumer is benefited by it. And the producer is also benefited by it.

So should we really care about saving the jobs of the middlemen? Are we not stopping ourselves for getting access to the best at cheaper rates? Agreed that globalization makes life a daily struggle, you will never know when your job will be there or when it will be outsourced or killed by another big company.

Now lets consider how we get money... We get money for the value we add. If your job is displaced due to globalization, then you should try to add value in another way, differentiate yourself from the competition so that you will still be in business or if everything else fails close the business and do some other thing. If they are untrained and they have done the same thing their whole life - pity on them for they have not continuously upgraded their skills. All is not lost still, they can still learn to do something and earn money. Now it touches upon even more basic question -How difficult it will be to learn new things at a late age - The answer is that if we are doing things we love to do, then we will not have any problem upgrading our knowledge, because we will do it intuitively and thats why there is a stress on doing what we love to do.

The ideal scenario of globalization is very good, but the problem occurs with different exchange rates, many people not understanding how it works - they think that if some other person takes our job, it is bad for us - It only means we are not adding enough value efficiently, so find other ways of doing it..

I will not argue if that is the best approach to living - self-sufficiency or specialization - both have pros and cons but globalization increases specialization - you have to do your job excellently well and it should be so specialized that you should have a competitive advantage so that you will be marketable...if there is no specialization, the bigger companies which have economies of scale will always win...

So globalization is good, it is efficient and it forces us out of our comfort zones... Does it dehumanize us - Difficult question -
    Consider this scenario - You have some amount of money - You see a poor person on the street, he has a diseased son and he needs some money for operation - and you have the money and you can give but you have some other urgent requirement, say your sons education- for that money -- what will you do? What is your choice? There might be other options but consider but there are only two options for now - what will you do?

I think governments can help them by reskilling them to those professions which have that competitive advantage but I think ultimately the responsibility of what to make from his life lies squarely with himself and friends and family will be there to see him through some difficult times..

--- what is the alternative to globalization?
    We can close our markets and trade only in India -- Now imagine how will our life be ? I dont want to in that place all these innovations like internet and others - would they have come?

there is a lot of debate on whether this globalization is sustainable? Can everyone add something of value with highest efficiency to compete in this global market?

And that is where I dont have any answers...

Thanks,
    Ananth.
    Business has only two functions - innovation and marketing. - Peter Drucker.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

A resume is considered as the first introduction to the individual without actually meeting him face to face.There is an xyz organisation maintaining a good corporate governance and has a...
I may be in the minority here, but I love Jim Cramer's Mad Money. The stuff he says makes sense (most of the time), and he knows what he's talking...
hi to all. i want to get the caption of my button control during runtime i.e when i execute.can anyone help me with it.
hi biggie, as you know that i have joined CE very recently. I have been going through all the forums but i thnk have not been able to read even...
there is a facility in vb that reduces the work of the mods/admins by automerging 2 consecutive posts by the same member ... i would request you to look into...