Gizmo Geek

This thread was on my mind since long πŸ˜€

Cybershot or Powershot? Razr Or Nokia N series or Samsung D-500 ? PS3 or Xbox ... all discussions go here πŸ˜€

Feel free to ask questions and post your opinion. Let the posts begin 😁

-The Big K-

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Pen Drive

Guys, we got a new query which will jumpstart this dead thread 😁

How to Choose a PEN Drive :?:

What 'parameters' must be considered while buying a PEN drive?

Which brand to go for?

How much memory size will be ok?

Bla bla bla ...

Shout everything.

-The Big K-
  • Neha
    Neha
    hey i don't know anything related to pen drive except its use....but one thing is for sure u have come up with a gr8 thread...its 2gud.😁
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    thanks 😁

now we'll have 'Engineers' Approach' to Gizmoz πŸ˜‰

But we'll have to wait for people who'll contribute to this thread

& that's a big challenge

-The Big K-
  • Neha
    Neha
    Pen Drive create Flash disks, USB hard drives and MP3 players the size of your thumb. They require no cable, no external power and no separate drive reader to operate. Just a complete integrated USB solid state drive with no moving parts...

This is all i could find about Pen Drives.
  • jitumariner
    jitumariner
    hi everyone

I am a marine engineer and i hardly know much abt this stuff but I think this should satisfy your curosity about flash drives.

A USB flash drive is essentially Flash memory - Wikipedia-type Flash memory - Wikipedia integrated with a USB - Wikipedia 1.1 or 2.0 interface. It is a small, lightweight, removable and rewritable Data storage - Wikipedia of up to 64 Gigabyte - Wikipedia, the most popular retail sizes being somewhere between 512 Megabyte - Wikipedia and 2 Gigabyte - Wikipedia (#-Link-Snipped-#).

USB flash drives are also known as "pen drives", "chip sticks" (though very uncommonly), "thumb drives", "flash drives", "USB keys", and a USB flash drive - Wikipedia of other names.

A flash drive consists of a small Printed circuit board - Wikipedia encased in a robust plastic or metal casing, making the drive sturdy enough to be carried about in a pocket, as a Keychain - Wikipedia, or on a Lanyard - Wikipedia.😁

Most flash drives are active only when powered by a USB computer connection, and require no other external power source or Electric battery - Wikipedia power source; key drives are run off the limited supply afforded by the USB connection (5 volts and up to 500 mA).

Flash drives as audio players

Many companies make Solid state - Wikipedia Portable media player - Wikipedia (MP3 - Wikipedia players) in a small Form factor - Wikipedia, essentially producing flash drives with sound output and a simple user interface. The most successful of these have been Apple Inc. - Wikipedia iPod Shuffle - Wikipedia, and the Creative MuVo - Wikipedia.

rest if any one wants to know more in detail may go to link: USB flash drive - Wikipedia

this page comprises much more than what has been stated above.
    you all have a nice time.

jitu😁
  • crook
    crook
    fantastic

wow 😁

thanks a lot jitu πŸ˜‰

😁
  • Neha
    Neha
    that was a gr8 work!!!!πŸ˜€

So what are the parameters that we should consider while buyin a Pen Drive???
  • Neha
    Neha
    Why is this thread down??

C'mon engineers post ur replys??
  • Neha
    Neha
    Laptop

hi everyone

Can anybody tell me what parameters should be considered while buying a laptop...i mean which company should go for...memory bla bla bla
  • rick
    rick
    suggestion

I suggest that we have a new section for this. cant we have separate threads for Laptops, Mobiles, Pen Drives, Music Players and like that? πŸ˜’
  • Jerry
    Jerry
    hope this helps

neha
    hi everyone

Can anybody tell me what parameters should be considered while buying a laptop...i mean which company should go for...memory bla bla bla
    neha-
    thc choice of laptop depends mainly on following factors:
    1. Use
    2. Budget
    Why do you want to buy a laptop? Know it in advance. This will also help you fix a budget for your laptop.

intel's M processor is the market hot but its tough competitor is AMD's athlon Turion 64 processor. do not go for the intel's celeron processor even if it costs you less bucks. the performance is sluggish and you will start hating your laptop.

another very important factor that you should consider is the battery life. 4 hours is average, but some last upto 7 hours. the longer the better. do a survery before you decide o n a specific model. My colleagues use dell notebook and its battery life is good, they say.

Go for min. 512 MB memory and at least dedicated 64 MB video RAM. if you can afford, 1GB memory notebooks are also available.
    An 80 GB disk will be sufficient for all your needs.

The screen size is your choice, 17" screen is my favorite. Look for USB port. InfraRed port may not be useful if your laptop supports bluetooth. but don't waste money on it unless you really need it.

Everything should cost you around $1300 .

i hope this helps! πŸ˜€
  • Neha
    Neha
    Thanx Jerry!!
    I waz asking for ma knowledge....and also to create everybody's interest in the thread.

What do CEans have to say about Bluetooth device??..Any knowledge, well i am sure u have...so reply to the topic and let others know
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    hold on

Hold on guys! I'm trying to pull in Rahul to answer our tech-questions. I'm sure he will get you a fantastic approach to buying laptops.

-The Big K-
  • Neha
    Neha
    Screen 3

I went thru modicum article on Screen3...have u heard of it??...Never mind if u haven't...here it is.

Screen 3 is a third generation technology that connects the phone to the Internet, a television channel or to any other source of Information.
    A financial expert can have on his phone screen information about the early trading at the stock exchange...with 10MB of memory phone can store immense data.

Isn't it great??...It can bridge the divide between two segments-the high end and the common man.

*Its positioned for its launch in India later this year.
  • rick
    rick
    about bluetooth

neha
    Thanx Jerry!!
    I waz asking for ma knowledge....and also to create everybody's interest in the thread.

What do CEans have to say about Bluetooth device??..Any knowledge, well i am sure u have...so reply to the topic and let others know
    This question was unanswered. I am attempting to answer it.

Bluetooth is the latest technology which enables the electronic devices to connect to each other over a short range (typically ~1m to ~100m).

Bluetooth simplifies many problems. First of all, it simplifies the need of physical medium for the devices to connect. It also takes care of the issues like how much data to transfer or which protocol to use for the communication. Bluetooth also offers advantages over the Infrared communications. The biggest among them being that it does not have to be in the line of sight to transfer the data.

Bluetooth devices are cheap and bluetooth technology is becoming a new standard in short range communication.
  • aashima
    aashima
    okay

so that means as such there are no fixed parameters that are to be specified b4 buying a bluetooth device... well thats no doubt that bluetooth probably is one of the most useful invention of technology..
  • aashima
    aashima
    which one do u favour?

lets discuss something about mobiles and individual interests regarding it....

what according to u is the most compatible and user friendly mobile set??? u can mention a particular mobile company for it or u can also go for a particular handset... lets try and discover which one is favoured by the masses!!!
  • aashima
    aashima
    as of me...

well according to me... i am most comfortable with NOKIA.... it can be any handset.. that does not matter but shud belong to nokia...
    i find the sets of nokia the most user-friendly and ruff & tuff... watsay ppl???
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    nothing *official* about it

I own a Motorazr V3. 😎

Well, its perfect for all my needs. I'm not a download freak or browse internet using motorazr.

The device has big screen & the phone has got stunning looks. Its light in weight.

-The Big K-
  • Neha
    Neha
    Working...

rick
    This question was unanswered. I am attempting to answer it.

Bluetooth is the latest technology which enables the electronic devices to connect to each other over a short range (typically ~1m to ~100m).

Bluetooth simplifies many problems. First of all, it simplifies the need of physical medium for the devices to connect. It also takes care of the issues like how much data to transfer or which protocol to use for the communication. Bluetooth also offers advantages over the Infrared communications. The biggest among them being that it does not have to be in the line of sight to transfer the data.

Bluetooth devices are cheap and bluetooth technology is becoming a new standard in short range communication.

Now my question is how does a Bluetooth Device works???
    Any answer??
  • aashima
    aashima
    the working...

neha
    Now my question is how does a Bluetooth Device works???
    Any answer??
    A Bluetooth device playing the role of the "master" can communicate with up to 7 devices playing the role of the "slave". This network of "group of up to 8 devices" (1 master + 7 slaves) is called a piconet. A piconet is an ad-hoc computer network of devices using Bluetooth technology protocols to allow one master device to interconnect with up to seven active slave devices (because a three-bit MAC address is used). Up to 255 further slave devices can be inactive, or parked, which the master device can bring into active status at any time.

At any given time, data can be transferred between the master and 1 slave; but the master switches rapidly from slave to slave in a round-robin fashion. (Simultaneous transmission from the master to multiple slaves is possible, but not used much in practice). Either device may switch the master/slave role at any time.

Bluetooth specification allows connecting 2 or more piconets together to form a scatternet, with some devices acting as a bridge by simultaneously playing the master role in one piconet and the slave role in another piconet. These devices have yet to come, though are supposed to appear next year (2007).

Setting up connections
    Any Bluetooth device will transmit the following sets of information on demand:

Device Name
    Device Class
    List of services
  • Neha
    Neha
    woooh!!!

Thanx aashima

Well I am using MOtorola L7 and its pretty good...I prefer to use Motorola or Sony Erricssson these daz...but I waz a die hard fan of NOKIA earlier...actually these companies offer the same facilities provided by Nokia at cheaper rates..but no doubt Nokia provides a good battery back-up...but when money comes battery back-up hardly mattersπŸ˜‰
  • aashima
    aashima
    well...

neha
    Thanx aashima

Well I am using MOtorola L7 and its pretty good...I prefer to use Motorola or Sony Erricssson these daz...but I waz a die hard fan of NOKIA earlier...actually these companies offer the same facilities provided by Nokia at cheaper rates..but no doubt Nokia provides a good battery back-up...but when money comes battery back-up hardly mattersπŸ˜‰

i guess i read thanks ????
    well i still cling to NOKIA... using 6630 these days... even if i consider changing.. i'll change the set not the company.. coz i find it most user friendly and easy going options containing
  • Neha
    Neha
    Its entirely depends on the person's choice..but tell me one thing u can be friendly to a person only if u get to know him/her...rite???...So try on other companies...they are user friendly tooπŸ˜‰
  • aashima
    aashima
    okay

neha
    Its entirely depends on the person's choice..but tell me one thing u can be friendly to a person only if u get to know him/her...rite???...So try on other companies...they are user friendly tooπŸ˜‰
    well i'll surely consider yer point wen i;ll switch to next one... πŸ˜‰
  • rick
    rick
    I have used motorola and its browser is use friendly. I am not a nokia fan either, because everyone uses nokia πŸ˜‰.

someone start a new thread for this !

rick
  • crook
    crook
    start a new thread

can we have new threads for each gizmo? πŸ˜• . in chit chat section ...
  • Neha
    Neha
    some light on ipod

The iPod is a brand of Portable media player - Wikipedia designed and marketed by Apple Inc. - Wikipedia. Devices in the iPod family are designed around a central scroll wheel (except for the iPod Shuffle - Wikipedia) and provide a simple User interface - Wikipedia. The full-sized model stores media on a built-in Hard disk drive - Wikipedia, while the smaller iPod Nano - Wikipedia and iPod shuffle use Flash memory - Wikipedia. Like many Portable media player - Wikipedia, iPods can serve as external USB mass storage device class - Wikipedia when connected to a computer.
    As of July 2006, the lineup consists of the 5th generation iPod with a video player; the iPod nano with a color screen; and the iPod shuffle. All three models were released in 2005. Discontinued versions include two generations of the iPod Mini - Wikipedia and four generations of the full-sized iPod, all of which had Monochrome - Wikipedia screens (except for the iPod photo).
    The bundled software used for transferring music, photos and videos is called iTunes - Wikipedia. As a music jukebox application, iTunes stores a comprehensive library of the user's music on their computer and can play, Optical disc authoring - Wikipedia and Ripping - Wikipedia music from a CD. The most recent version of iTunes has video organization features.
    The iPod is currently the world's best-selling digital audio player, and its worldwide mainstream adoption makes it one of the most popular consumer brands. Some of Apple's design choices and proprietary actions have however led to criticism and legal battles.

The matter has been copied from google.
  • Neha
    Neha
    What is Blackberry?

Can anyone throw some light on "what is Blackberry?",What is its use? How does it works? etc.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Here comes a starter -

Blackberry is a PDA like cell phone πŸ˜’ . Blackberrys are used for emailing & browsing the internet.

Well, for the next question - "How does it work?" , we will need telecom engineers. πŸ˜‰

-The Big K-
  • Letsrock
    Letsrock
    it just like a PDA with PUSH technology and user friendly

A BlackBerry, does everything a PDA can do, and it syncs itself continually through push technology. BlackBerry Enterprise Server or Desktop Redirector software "pushes," or redirects, new e-mail, calendar updates, documents and other data straight to the user over the Internet and the cell phone network. First, the software senses that a new message has arrived or the data has changed. Then, it compresses, packages and redirects the information to the handheld unit. The server uses hypertext transfer protocol (HTTP) and transmission control protocol (TCP) to communicate with the handhelds. It also encrypts the data with triple data encryption standard (DES) or advanced encryption standard (AES).
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    That was neat, Letsrock πŸ˜€

Drop in more information if possible.

-The Big K-
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    The_Big_K
    Blackberry is a PDA like cell phone πŸ˜’
    cell phone eh? πŸ˜› hm, I don't know much about how a Blackberry works.. just that its a PDA but with additional syncronizing ability. Thanks Letsrock for the additional info!

About pen drives, I believe Kingston is the king. A Kingston Data Traveller I 2GB capacity (lime green colour) should be sufficient and its cheap anyway. If you have some security concerns, a pendrive from PenDrive (yep, its a company) has an additional partition which serves as a lock. If you enable it, you need to enter a password etc.. but it wont stop accidental format and all that. A side note, those two companies are the popular ones here in Malaysia. Im not too sure about other countries! Some things you might want to consider is the warranty and also the transfer speed of the pen drive. USB 2.0 is standard, but don't forget the read/write speeds within the flash chips.

If you think 2GB is too much, you can fill it up with portable freewares! These are software that can be run off your pen drive and do not leave any info on the computer that you are working on. For example, you can install a portable version of Firefox. You can carry bookmarks and addons with you anywhere! Hm, what if you want to view a PDF document, but the computer doesnt have Adobe Reader? No problem.. run Foxit Reader off your pen drive! You can even run a portable Anti Virus scanner. Anywayz, I can rattle on and on.. check out these links for the stuff:

#-Link-Snipped-#
    Latest entries - The Portable Freeware Collection

Regarding Laptops, Acer and Dell seem to be the most cost effective and have great support, but I personally prefer HP/Compaq laptops. If you have money to burn, get a Toshiba or Sony Vaio 😁 Jerry has outlined a good guide for purchasing a laptop. In addition, AMD processors may cost a little less, but they tend to make the laptop heat up quick. Don't forget a DVD Burner too. Having a light laptop with wireless capabilities is a plus, so you can surf around in Starbucks πŸ˜‰

Just to end this post, I think Sony Ericsson phones are cool and have darn good multimedia capabilities such as music and camera functions. Nokia phones are user friendly and cater both for the budget market and the high end (N series), but can't find a phone that suits me (The 5300 did come close, though). I dislike Motorola phones the most (sorry BigK πŸ˜‰). Razr looks good on the outside only.. nothing else.
  • scandalouskk
    scandalouskk
    how to start an thread here??
    plz help me
    im an new bieee
  • scandalouskk
    scandalouskk
    Hello ,
    my pen drive is detecting when it is inserted into port.
    When i tried to open, system displays an message "INSERT DISK INTO DRIVE "..
    My keyboard and mouse are working properly which when connected through same port.
    I tried at different port but in vain.
    wat shall i do???
    Thx in advance
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    No point in posting the same question everywhere, scandalouskk.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

No activity here since long. btw good to see 70 Crazy Engineers here :shock: Maybe we can have interesting quiz sessions here πŸ˜‰ Here is my first Question- First one...
Welcome everyone! 😁 This forum intends to serve as a common platform for all Crazy Engineers who are taking GRE. Feel free to post your doubts, questions, opinions. Q. Yet...
Feel Relaxed! Now you need not worry about those tough questions you encountered while studying Math. Just post your question and wait for others to solve it for you. Most...
Fellas, Let’s collect funniest, wittiest one liners. You find them everywhere from Parties to Email signatures. Let us gather them here 😁 Rules (oops!) 1.Post no more than 2 one...
Hi All ! CrazyEngineers forum was launched on 26th Nov. 2005 with a target of 100 registrations in 6 months. My estimates were wrong (as usual) and we are 100...