Give entrepreneurial skills to engineers for better innovation

Quote:
Today, engineering entrepreneurs are changing the world at an unprecedented speed. The slight irony is that, in this age of unprecedented technology driven change, in the UK the main protagonists are often not regarded as engineering companies. Think Google, Apple and Facebook.
Nonetheless, technology and innovation have never been so important to so many people.
However, whilst the abilities of companies to manipulate technology reach new heights, it’s often the market equation where things are lacking. We’ve all heard the phrase “… a solution looking for a problem to solve …”, and Gilbert K. Chesterton sums it up “… It isn’t they can’t see the solution. It is that they can’t see the problem …”. Multiple studies show that 80% of all new product launches fail, as do 80% of new businesses. This challenge is made all the more difficult by the increasing efficiency of a globalised competitive market.
Endquote
#-Link-Snipped-#

Replies

• Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    About 6 years back, when I was getting my engineering diploma, my HOD asked us to organize a 3-day program called EDP - "Entrepreneurship Development Program"
    We got in touch with the officials who conduct these workshops all over the country and were amazed to see the list of speakers that were ready to come and deliver seminars for engineering students.

I am not sure if the speakers were ineffective or the crowd was not enthusiastic, but nothing ever came out of that workshop. The belief that "Entrepreneurs are born, not made" took firm root in my mind back then. Even today, when I start thinking of examples of the folks running commercially successful businesses, I see that no one really 'taught' them the skills required to innovate or build the business from scratch.

The only common thread is the undying zeal they have to achieve something big. Skills were acquired along the way by trial & error methods.

Therefore, I am wondering if entrepreneurial skills can ever be taught to engineers?
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    Ankita Katdare
    Therefore, I am wondering if entrepreneurial skills can ever be taught to engineers?
    It is a difficult thing indeed. However, some basics can be imparted to smoothen the way.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I beg to differ from the views of the author of the article, David Falzani. I believe that entrepreneurship cannot be taught! Either you have in it, or you don't. You CAN teach time-tested methods of managing and running a business that helps a new business sustain; but you simply cannot make someone start a business - unless they have this internal, burning desire of becoming one.

I however do acknowledge the point the author is trying to make. The solution lies in creating an ecosystem where engineers believe that starting a business is easy so that the fence-sitters take the plunge. Also, it's not very easy for a 'tech-head' to manage various aspects of business: delegating work, negotiating, HR, handling support, building a company culture et al.

The combo that's most likely to succeed is the Jobs-Woz one. The 'Woz' types ensure that a great product is built and the 'Jobs' types ensure that people want to buy it.

During my very limited corporate career I noticed and my friends working in various corporates also confirmed that the companies are reluctant on trying out new stuff. Most of the new ideas contributed by engineers are rejected by a dumb-ass manager (sorry, but I can't think of better choice of words to express my view 😁 ) who thinks that the engineer should rather finish the work allotted to him/her by the deadline.

My wildest dream is to build CrazyEngineers into a company that lets engineers build great stuff of their own choice and handles the business aspect of it without burdening the engineers. While I totally believe that we'll be that company one day; I'm not sure how it will happen 😁.
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    Kaustubh Katdare
    My wildest dream is to build CrazyEngineers into a company that lets engineers build great stuff of their own choice and handles the business aspect of it without burdening the engineers.
    Way to go. Just do it!

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

The attempt to land a robot on a comet by the European Space Agency is not just finding a meagre 4 kilometer rock in the immensity of space but landing...
Germany based holding company T-Mobile has now started offering the Nexus 9 tablet with the LTE facility. By doing so, the company has become the first US carrier to provide...
Short answer: because they are mostly run and governed by the professors who've zilch experience of running a business. Long answer: I see that the latest fashion among almost all...
Guys i have done b.tech in automobile branch and i am going to join a company who is vendor of automobile parts and heavy equipment.i am joining at marketing executive...
An in-depth report on a technology that is finally stepping out of the sci-fi shadows: the wearable exoskeleton. Read pages 14 - 16: https://digitaledition.theengineer.co.uk/te-1214/files/1.html?cmpid=tenews_744114