Getting girls off Barbie and into CE - Tech Toys by Stanford Engineer Debbie Sterling

Debbie Sterling, a female engineer from Stanford University is concerned about the stereotyping that girls and engineering do not mix. Instead of lamenting she went after the problem. Her entrepreneurial passion resulted in the creation of Goldie, the girl inventor with her Goldie Box.

GoldieBlox: Engineering toys for girls | LAUNCH VIDEO - YouTube
#-Link-Snipped-#
#-Link-Snipped-#

Replies

• Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Amazing stuff! 😀

And it got funded in five days! No wonder!

Just to say how much I like the concept - like she says there if I ever have a little girl, I’m putting GoldieBlox in her crib. Yes. ☕
  • zaveri
    zaveri
    Well i don't think there is much difference between this and the mechanix/mechano kits, the stuff which i played with when i was young.

only thing is this is plastic and has animal figures, which does appeal to girls.
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    zaveri
    only thing is this is plastic and has animal figures, which does appeal to girls.
    I don't think that's necessarily what appeals this toy to girls 😛
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    umm, I am not really comfortable when something is labeled based on gender.
    I still don't understand if girls liking pink is natural or its just some marketing hype which has now segregated the population as pinks, blues and rainbows.
    But as far as toys are concerned, may be the idea is good, but its not mandatory for girls to have such specialized toys. My father gifted me with elctromagnetic set when i was a kid and going to school .

I think toys should not be gender specific. They are toys, if a boy kid plays with kitchen set, it only means he likes it , same with girls.
  • zaveri
    zaveri
    #-Link-Snipped-# said it all.

stereotyping is done when a particular product is targeted to people of a particular gender.

as far as this toy is cocerned, i think it is not up to mark with the regular mechanix kits.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I have chance to get admission at CDAC -TICA kandivali Mumbai in PGDVLSI ,Is it good or not? Please give me your advice.
hello CEans.. after a long struggles got a small job in a new company as a php developer. some what happy in mind and ready to join in job. suddenly...
i am narendra obulasetty and i completed my b-tech in the stream of ece in 2012. my native place is hyderabad in andrapradesh,india
i got a seat in pg-dac cdac mumbai so any one sugest me it is good for placements
This is pretty obvious. Check the link : https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...s-that-depict-country-as-terrorist-haven.html I don't blame Pak for this : Would stores of US sell the game showing the BAMF Jihadis blasting up the...