CrazyEngineers
  • So far I know Gears provide better power transmisssion capabilities and there is no belt slip is with belt drives.
    What are some more pros and cons.
    High Torgue and moisture and long production runs is the type of operating environment.
    Which should i use?
    Replies
Howdy guest!
Dear guest, you must be logged-in to participate on CrazyEngineers. We would love to have you as a member of our community. Consider creating an account or login.
Replies
  • Ramani Aswath

MemberNov 29, 2011

#-Link-Snipped-#[0].pdf
    #-Link-Snipped-#
    <a href="https://books.google.co.in/books?id=YWBqoKKhkrQC&pg=PA155&lpg=PA155&dq=mechanical+power+transmission+gear+or+belt&source=bl&ots=VQ-Nk6xuIS&sig=QXw-dFgLAj7z1t2vRX8QyCe6siM&hl=en&ei=_-PVTpeyKcXyrQektMG1Dg&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=7&ved=0CFwQ6AEwBjgK#v=onepage&q=mechanical%20power%20transmission%20gear%20or%20belt&f=false" target="_blank" rel="nofollow noopener noreferrer">Mechanical Design - T.H.C. Childs - Google Books</a>
    Are you sure? This action cannot be undone.
    Cancel
  • CE Designer

MemberDec 2, 2011

Thanks Bioramani, very much, gotta get to reading. The first link does not work anymore btw.
    Cancel
  • muhaimmedu

MemberDec 2, 2011

CE Designer, just copy the whole link with the [0].pdf, it's a pretty good read too.
    Thanks bioramani.
    Oh I'll just repost the link here then.
    #-Link-Snipped-#
    Cancel
  • mechky

MemberDec 5, 2011

Generally speaking, if the distance between shafts is large, belt drive is preferred. However, it may vary according to application.

Some disadvantages with chain drive-
    1. Lubrication is very important as unlubricated chains wear 300 times faster than the lubricated chains.
    2. The lubrication attracts dirt which leads to wear.
    3. Accurate alignment is required.
    4. Not suitable for vertical shaft drives.
    5. Noisy
    Cancel
  • CE Designer

MemberDec 6, 2011

Got the site to wok, thx #-Link-Snipped-#.
    Some good points mechky
    Cancel
Home Channels Search Login Register