Gear Drives vs Belt Drives

So far I know Gears provide better power transmisssion capabilities and there is no belt slip is with belt drives.
What are some more pros and cons.
High Torgue and moisture and long production runs is the type of operating environment.
Which should i use?

Replies

• Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    #-Link-Snipped-#[0].pdf
    #-Link-Snipped-#
    Mechanical Design - T.H.C. Childs - Google Books
  • CE Designer
    CE Designer
    Thanks Bioramani, very much, gotta get to reading. The first link does not work anymore btw.
  • muhaimmedu
    muhaimmedu
    CE Designer, just copy the whole link with the [0].pdf, it's a pretty good read too.
    Thanks bioramani.
    Oh I'll just repost the link here then.
    #-Link-Snipped-#
  • mechky
    mechky
    Generally speaking, if the distance between shafts is large, belt drive is preferred. However, it may vary according to application.

Some disadvantages with chain drive-
    1. Lubrication is very important as unlubricated chains wear 300 times faster than the lubricated chains.
    2. The lubrication attracts dirt which leads to wear.
    3. Accurate alignment is required.
    4. Not suitable for vertical shaft drives.
    5. Noisy
  • CE Designer
    CE Designer
    Got the site to wok, thx #-Link-Snipped-#.
    Some good points mechky

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

https://www.crazyengineers.com/forum...wont-december-01-2011-anymore.html#post191699 I hope by now everyone has read about the announcement above. This is the official discussion thread about December 01, what do you expect to change & how excited...
I have been selected for IAF technical branch as a Flying Officer.I am not very patriotic or that kinda person.I just gave the exam simply.I am a computer science engineer...
Get the taste of the French culture at Supinfomania 2011’s French Evening. Enjoy performances from French Street Dancers and more! Venue: Activity Area DSK Supinfocom Manjri, Near Loni Toll Plaza...
Quote: Punkin Chunkin is the premier event for finding out who can throw and shoot a pumpkin the farthest – and the huge cannons powered by compressed air and built...
We have a 150MW steam turbine with specific steam consumption of 3.16 T/KWH.However actual steam consumption when measured is 3.4T/KWH. Steam pressure & temp is 140kg/cm2 540deg celsius respectively. What...