Gate Terminal In SCR

why gate terminal is always kept near the cathode terminal?? why not near anode terminal??

Replies

• [Prototype]
    [Prototype]
    [​IMG]

See the layer diagram of SCR I've made above.

An SCR is nothing but a P-N junction diode & an NPN transistor combined together. There's no significance of gate being near to the cathode side, its just the normal base terminal of an NPN transistor which is being used as GATE in SCR. Since the PN junction doesn't have a 3rd terminal & NPN transistor is used, the GATE automatically happens to be near the cathode.
  • arunchary
    arunchary
    its because we know the simple concept of current,cathode have a more no.of electrons to drive then anode.little bit of gate current which leads to drive and then it will starts conducting.....
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    Sorry to say this guys both have hinted on a wrong tone

The prime reason is to provide an addtional voltage to the reverse biased PN junction (2nd junction) and thus we get a breakdown before the actual reverse bias break down voltage (say 30 V this is supplied partly from AK voltage and partly from the Gate voltage so earlier BD for lesser AK voltage )

If the Gate is connected nearer to the Anode more voltage will be needed to trigger the SCR as higher voltage will be required to breakdown the reverse biased diode in junction 2
  • Vishal Sharma
    Vishal Sharma
    Just now learned the topic in college. I totally agree with jeffrey
  • [Prototype]
    [Prototype]
    jeffrey samuel
    Sorry to say this guys both have hinted on a wrong tone

The prime reason is to provide an addtional voltage to the reverse biased PN junction (2nd junction) and thus we get a breakdown before the actual reverse bias break down voltage (say 30 V this is supplied partly from AK voltage and partly from the Gate voltage so earlier BD for lesser AK voltage )

If the Gate is connected nearer to the Anode more voltage will be needed to trigger the SCR as higher voltage will be required to breakdown the reverse biased diode in junction 2
    I always thought there was no functional significance of that. Thanks for enlighting. Guess my attention was somewhere else when this thing was taught.
  • Vishal1485
    Vishal1485
    practically this terminals are arranged in sequence cathode, anode & gate
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    Vishal1485
    practically this terminals are arranged in sequence cathode, anode & gate
    That is only in a chip or in the pin diagram of the SCR which you use in lab not in the internal structure friend

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

BEGINNERS'S TUTORIAL : Structured Query Language (SQL) Hello buddies, I am here with a dedicated thread that will focus upon SQL for beginners. I am going to provide more of...
Can somebody come out and give some ideas for final year project for physically challenged people.. I am not able to get any thing new. If any of u help...
Nowadays most of the vacuum cleaners , have two ports in them, one is the suction port and the other the blower. their working principle is similar to that of...
I'm going to apply for the jobs and looking forward to resume templates. Can anyone suggest the best resume format for resume?
What is the abbreviation of AD in ncc?