GATE Mechanical Guide

All the Mechanical Engineering Students who are preparing for GATE-2015 or so may post their queries here. I will try my best to solve.

P.S. I am not a GATE Topper, but I assure you best help possible from my side. I appeared in GATE-2014 (along with my final year studies) and scored 614 in Mechanical Discipline with 97.74 Percentile.

Replies

• PuneetVerma
    PuneetVerma
    Recommended books

GATE Mechanical Engineering Books -

Engineering Thermodynamics : PK Nag, R Yadav, Cengel and Boles
    IC Engine: ML Mathur and RP Sharma, V Ganesan

Fluid Mechanics: RK Bansal, Cengel

Fluid Machinery: RK Bansal

Problems on Fluid Mechanics and Machinary: K Subramanyam

Heat and Mass Transfer: JP Hollman, RC Sachdeva, Cengel

Refrigeration and Air Conditioning: CP Arora, Domkundwar, RK Rajput

Theory of Machines: Malik & Ghosh, SS Rattan

Mechanical Vibration : Grover, VP Singh

Machine Design: Shigley, VB Bhandari

Material Science: WD Callister, IP Singh,

Production Engineering: Kalpkjian Schmid, Amitabh Ghosh & AK Malik, Swadesh Kumar Singh

Industrial Engineering: O P Khanna, Buffa & Sarin

Operations Research: Kanti Swarup

Strength of Materials: Gere & Timoshenko, BC Punamia

Authors in bold text are must to have.
  • amit_pawar242
    amit_pawar242
    Dear Sir,
    Thank you for blog.
    I am a graduate of 2012 in Mechanical Engineering. From past two years I am working in Pvt Company and my salary package is also good (4, 32,000 P.A.) but I feel something is missing in my life and I want to do big in my life. So I decided to try for GATE-2015 but I am from middle class family so I can’t quite job and prepare for GATE full time, so I joined weekend coaching classes also. From last 2 weeks I am going to class am studying 3-4 hrs every day. But I am an average student so I didn’t get confidence that I can clear the GATE so my mind is changing now, n I am thinking to stop coaching classes. Please sir help me, Is it possible to Crack GATE with doing 8-9 hr Job???? And after GATE also I have only one option PUS’s, I can’t stop earning money (Family Issues).
    So Sir please suggest is it possible to crack GATE with Good Marks (for PSU) with doing job??? N what should i do for that????? Or shall I concentrate on my Job only.
    Please suggest me.
    Thank you in advance.
  • PuneetVerma
    PuneetVerma
    Keep going on as you are doing now. Don't stop working hard. Try to solve as much questions as you can. Practice is the only key in GATE. You have to practice a lot of questions. Join a test series of Made Easy. This will help you in understanding the user interface of GATE Website. Also this year they have stopped physical calculator, only web calculator will be available. So with changing trends you should join a good online test series. Also follow standard books.
  • mechengg10
    mechengg10
    dear sir ,
    is it beneficial to have postal coaching (if yes ,which is best) ..or we shud stick to the standards reference books only..
  • PuneetVerma
    PuneetVerma
    Follow Standard Books, get handwritten notes of Made Easy Institute. Those will be available at xerox shops near any of centre. Don't study from notes blindly. That will give idea what exactly you have to study. Solve questions from material.
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Thanks for this super amazing help thread #-Link-Snipped-# I am sure your answers are helping hundreds of students. 👍
  • viratvicky
    viratvicky
    #-Link-Snipped-# brother what is test series ? i mean i am asking for a test series is it compulsary to go to made easy instituite or any instituite which we had applied or if i have laptop can i write test series in my laptop by logging userid and password ? really i don't know. why i'm asking because i am from andhra pradesh i can't go to delhi made easy for this test series. now how should i jopin made easy test series?
  • PuneetVerma
    PuneetVerma
    Now days there is only "online" test series. You will buy a package for some 1000 rupees and they will provide you a login id and password. You can follow test series from your home. That is really beneficial in my opinion to check out where you stand.

Here is link for Made Easy Test Series

MADE EASY Online Test Series | GATE, ESE, State Engineering Exams
  • viratvicky
    viratvicky
    #-Link-Snipped-# thank you brother😀
  • kamal hossain
    kamal hossain
    Itspuneet
    All the Mechanical Engineering Students who are preparing for GATE-2015 or so may post their queries here. I will try my best to solve.

P.S. I am not a GATE Topper, but I assure you best help possible from my side. I appeared in GATE-2014 (along with my final year studies) and scored 614 in Mechanical Discipline with 97.74 Percentile.

Sir, I am a final year student (mechanical) from a very non renowned private college . actually i want to crack gate 2015 to get into iit or psu, but the problem is i am doing self study for gate, along with my final year studies. So i am little bit tensed at this stage. Is it possible to get through gate without coaching? Please advice me some important tips for these 2 months, left for gate, so that i can get into iit or psu. Also what strategy should i adopt now at this stage. PLEASE HELP.
  • PuneetVerma
    PuneetVerma
    Now solve out all the previous year question papers. Buy Made Easy 24-25 year old question paper book. Solve that thoroughly.
  • kamal hossain
    kamal hossain
    hello sir, can u please tell me which is the 'BEST' book for 'OBJECTIVE MECHANICAL ENGG.'
    1)rk jain
    2)rk rajput
    3)rs khurmi
  • Thilak Velu
    Thilak Velu
    PuneetVerma
    Follow Standard Books, get handwritten notes of Made Easy Institute. Those will be available at xerox shops near any of centre. Don't study from notes blindly. That will give idea what exactly you have to study. Solve questions from material.
    Hellooo ,
    I have completed my BE(2015). Is self-studying and problem solving method are enough for GATE cracking?! . Because i dont have any coaching centre nearby....PLZ HELP...
  • shubham jaunjal
    shubham jaunjal
    hello, sir
    how much time is sufficient for completing the full gate syllabus. Recently i am in 3 year of my engineering. Is coaching needed?
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    #-Link-Snipped-# 1 year is sufficient time to complete GATE syllabus. You can start immediately and use the remaining time to solve as many past question papers as you can. Coaching can be useful if you don't understand some subjects of the syllabus.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

If you need any help regarding projects related to alternative fuels' testing on IC Engines, post here.
is there any specific reason behind the shape of a resistor?..... and why a load in a circuit is simply replaced by a load resistance?.....
I am looking for a mother board that can handle the following spec. Must support 4th Gen ix processors PCIe 3.0 x16 slots atleast 2 PCIe 2.0 x1 slots atleast...
Quote: Innovations in water treatment are driven by population growth, industrial water use, and the environment. So says George Barclay of Dow Water & Process Solutions in a Water Technology...
Today CEan @mahesh_dahale is celebrating his birthday. Wishing you a many many happy returns of the day. 🎉