GAS Turbine

can we use gas turbines in automobiles in spite of engine
if they are
can anybody let me know more about them:sshhh::sshhh:

Replies

• gohm
    gohm
    Sure you can use gas turbofan engines, though not real practical. There is a motorcycle with a turbofan engine (from old helicopters) commercially available called the Y2K. It tends to limit tailgaters as the hot exhaust can melt plastic bodywork! The other drawback is in the way they produce thrust (acceleration on the road) as there is a delay in throttle response time so a major change in driving skills are needed. Also they guzzle fuel like crazy as well. You forget all those drawbacks though when you hear one... laugh.
  • raj87verma88
    raj87verma88
    A good idea as a gas turbine engine is light compact and has a high power to weight ratio. But the trouble is that the exhaust coming out is extremely hot and this will prove to be a stumbling block. If you make a model that utilizes the a regenerator to use the exhaust heat thereby reducing the temp. of the gases going out and increasing efficiency then it is a possibility. Other ways include using intercoolers etc. There are many other options. I suggest you research on Brayton Cycle as it is the ideal cycle for gas turbine engines. For reading i will suggest Thermodynamics An Engineering Approach by Yunus A. Cengel and Michael A. Boles, Chapter 9. There are others but i personally found it the best for this topic. Yes as gohm said a motorcycle is there using turbofan engine and it has many flaws but the possibilities to better something and develop new things are endless.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I would like to know wether we can earth the body of a DC machine just like that for a AC machine?If not could you please explain y its shouldnt...
CEans, First it was Altavista, then it was Yahoo and now, its Google. The world has seen improvements in web search technology over the years. Ultimately, crazy engineers like you...
I'll keep the first post short & sweet ( 😒 ) - What according to you is the future of email? Will it be replaced by something else or we're...
Hi! I'm Umar again with a Question... I'm having a paper named "TRANSMISSION & DISTRIBUTION SYSTEMS" I want to know what are the recent trends of HVDC transmission lines and...
Hi Friends... I'm Umar again.. I'm from Tamilnadu.. Plz help me with the procedures of Implant training.. how to apply...? Help me and give me some effective ideas.. Note: I...