Gallium Nitride & Graphene - The 'Extreme Materials' To Speed Up Electronics

Tomás Palacios, associate professor of electrical engineering & computer science at MIT is fascinated by two materials - Gallium Nitride & Graphene. He calls them 'Extreme Materials' and has setup a team of 25 graduate students, postdocs and research scientists into two groups, one focusing on Gallium Nitride and the other on Graphene. 'Gallium Nitride' is extreme, Says Palacios because it can handle 10x the voltage as silicon - which pretty much forms the basis of all the electronics we use these days - from televisions to mobiles and tablets. On the other hand, Graphene is extreme because of its properties viz: it's the thinnest material one can think of and lightest as well. At the same time, it's strongest material too.

extreme-materials
Photo Credit: BRYCE VICKMARK​
The team focusing on Gallium Nitride is researching applications of this material into various types of power electronics. With US Department Of Energy announcing $140 million grant to the institute to power electronics, the team is happier and confident than ever before. The DOE is particularly interested in adoption of Gallium Nitride in lighting and power electronics projects which would reduce the global energy consumption by 25%. The properties of this material also allow it to be used in higher-frequency electronics - those that operate at 100s of GHz and even terahertz. The only thing that goes against the material is that it's not available in bulk.

The team focusing on Graphene is experimenting with chemical and biological sensors. An interesting application the team is working on is use of graphene in the next generation of nigh-vision - the one that would allows four-wheelers to be driven effortlessly in low light conditions.

Read more about the research on source link below.

Source: #-Link-Snipped-#

Replies

• Gurkirat Singh
    Gurkirat Singh
    how can gallium nitride reduce power consumption???
    👎
  • Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    The last sentence attracted me.Could you please explain the use of graphene in wheels of cars?
    And also I noted that Graphene is lighter and stronger.Can we use its qualities in automobile industry for body making?
    (Is it superior to carbon fibre).
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    CSK AUTO
    The last sentence attracted me.Could you please explain the use of graphene in wheels of cars?
    And also I noted that Graphene is lighter and stronger.Can we use its qualities in automobile industry for body making?
    (Is it superior to carbon fibre).
    #-Link-Snipped-#
    This book includes a good detail on the latest researches on the Graphene.
  • Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    thank you abhishek rawal

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Nokia has launched Nokia 207, Nokia 208 and Nokia 208 Dual SIM phones today aimed at providing 3G connectivity to budget users. Nokia have continued with the ‘candy bar’ styling...
Intel Clovertrail is the processor developed for the smartphone application, Intel has successfully managed to lower down the power consumption of the processor, Infact the power consumption has decreased lower...
is it possible to design an RCC structure in which the reinforcement rods are replaced by I-sections in beams and columns?????? please give me suggestions... what i mean is... An...
Hello CEans I am Pooja, a Grad. in IT would like to start discussion where doubts related to CS/IT subjects can be solved with mutual efforts. Sharing knowledge and solving...
Looks like Microsoft's getting things wrong. Don Mattrick is already out of the company for messing up the entire communication and now the next blow. XBOX ONE will launch in...