fundamental design of suspension bridges

tonite I was at my favorite friday spot which was just under the HARBOUR BRDGE.Its a 10 lane suspension bridge which had already celebrated its 75 yrs couple of years ago. Just staring at the massive bridge for over 45 mins from beneath I could not stop wondering how suspension bridges are constructed?
what are the fundamental design issues?

what materials are used to construct the pillars which dont get corroded dur to water?

also, just beneath the sydney harbour bridge, there is a unde'water tunnel, which connects two main stream areas. what might be the design of such tunnels that they can with stand the tremedous pressure of water?

Replies

• gohm
    gohm
    Good topic and a nice long discussion can be had with this. I'll help to start things off with some basics. A suspension bridge has the decking supported by suspension cables that are hung from towers and anchored at either end. Modern designs also have vertical cables (hangers) that connect the load bearing decking (where the road is) to the main cables. Tension and compression hold it all together. This design allows for very long spans. Some examples include the Golden Gate bridge, Brooklyn bridge & Akashi-Kaikyo bridge.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

ICANN [Internet corporation for assigned names & numbers] is now going to allow website addresses in non-latin script. That means very soon, we'll see website addresses in Hindi, Chinese, Arabic,...
It is to inform you guys that my college is organizing tech fest.. for all you guys are invited to my college ..Please come and visit it... click here for...
I personally think the idea is cool. However, do we really need non-latin domain names? If you don't know what we're talking about, look here: https://www.crazyengineers.com/forum...in-web-addresses-how-does-sound-new-post.html
Hi Pal, I am planning for national level paper presentation on dataware housing. Kindly suggest me hot topic on Data warehousing.
Hello! I came upon your slice of the internet while looking for somewhere to get some help with a brainchild I've been entertaining in my head. Basically, it's a paintball...