Fully Functional 3D Printed Loudspeaker Made By Cornell University Researchers

Mechanical engineering graduate students Apoorva Kiran and Robert MacCurdy of Cornell University have 3D printed a loudspeaker. While most 3D printing projects involve printing just the outer shell and assembling electronics inside them, these students have managed to 3D print almost every component of the speaker. While it was easy to print the plastic casing the researchers had to put in more efforts to make the conductive coil and the magnet. They printed the conductive coil using silver ink. They took the help of Samanvaya Srivastava, graduate student in chemical and bio-molecular engineering who concocted a viscous blend of strontium ferrite which was used to make the magnet.

Cornell University

After reading the first paragraph you might be tempted to buy a 3D printer that would print all the electronics you need at home but this might be a farfetched dream. Associate Professor Hod Lipson who guided the researchers in their project says that most commercial printers cannot handle multiple materials efficiently and it is difficult to find mutually compatible materials. For example the same printer cannot print plastic casing as well as the copper wiring at the same time. The researchers themselves took the help of two printers to make the loudspeaker. To demonstrate their work the team hooked up the speaker and played an audio clip from a speech by US President Barack Obama where he is talking about 3D printing. You can have a look at the video and read more about their project on the #-Link-Snipped-#.

Source: #-Link-Snipped-#

Replies

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Rumors floated earlier of Nokia developing its Android segment, and a mid-range Nokia Normandy which was announced earlier as the company's Android-powered phone was greeted with high excitement. But that...
We here at CrazyEngineers are taking our promotions seriously than ever before. With a series of launches planned for 2014, we are now looking for someone who would love to...
Lenovo India has come up with a new smartphone on the Indian shores with Lenovo Vibe X, a 5-inch smartphone cum phablet, that's got a lot of interesting features. Lenovo...
hi friednds now a days everyone using smart phones or in other words smart phone is the requirement of todays life. i also wants to buy a smart phone in...
hi guys i am ece student. i have a deep interest in playing with computer sodes and try new things to it. but since i am an electronics student so...