FreeKall Offers Free Voice Calling Without Internet, Brings Advertisements In Calls

Engineers from M S Ramaiah Institute of Technology, Bangalore have come with a new free voice calling service called 'FreeKall'. Developed by a trio of Yashas Shekar, Vijayakumar Umaluti and Sandesh Eshwarappa, FreeKall service makes it possible for users to make free voice calls without the need to access Internet using data packets on their phones. All this is being offered for no cost, because FreeKall will be incorporating advertisements between your voice calls. So, if you have no problem in listening to some ads in the middle of your conversation, this service is the right thing for you.

Here's how it works - You dial the FreeKall number or give a missed call on it. On doing that, Freekall calls you back on your number. Once you answer the call, you have to enter the number of the person with whom you want to talk. Finally, FreeKall will dial and connect you with that number and then you can start talking for free. The great part is that even if you have a basic phone like the classic Nokia 1100 or a high-end smartphone such as iPhone, FreeKall will work on all devices. When the call is connected, the user hears an ad instead of a ringtone. And at intervals of two minutes, the caller and the called party will have to pause the conversation and hear an ad.

freekall

Currently, if you are an unregistered user, you can make a call that lasts three minutes, while if you register, the conversations can last 12 minutes. The folks behind the FreeKall project have promised that after a month there will be no limit to the amount of time a person can FreeKall. We will also have facility to make International calls within a month, once the team obtains legal clearances.

According to a report on Economic Times, FreeKall team is targeting to handle 10 million calls a day while making $30 million by the end of 2015. The company has raised a seed capital of Rs. 10 lakh from Ranjith Cherickel, a telecom professional with experience in the field and is planning to take FreeKall international. The team has also put up a video for their service. Have a look -

​
What are your thoughts on the new free voice calling service in town? Share with us in comments below.
​
Source: #-Link-Snipped-#

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Interesting idea. I don't exactly remember; but someone did attempt something similar in the past but it didn't work out. The challenge definitely lies in making the entire call making process easier (Ex. WhatsApp removed sign-up process). Also; I'm curious to know how does the freekall team aims to convince the advertisers that listening to Audio Jingle during a call help make sales. Or are you only targeting advertisers interested in branding?

I'd definitely want this startup to succeed. All the best, folks!
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    I think this is a lot like trunk calls. Just with the 'cloud' added to the service.
    In the 1950s, a telephone call made via the operator had to be connected usually via land/cable lines. It got its name because the cables were contained within "trunking". This is now applied to computer cabling.
  • Vikram S Bargah
    Vikram S Bargah
    Great Thought....πŸ‘
    Listening to ad in the beginning of the conversation is ok , but repetition after every two minutes is a bit odd.

P.S. They should increase the time gap between each ads may be 5 - 6 minutes.😁
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Has anyone registered on their website? What is the number that we have to dial?
    Haven't they updated it yet?
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Vikram S Bargah
    Great Thought....πŸ‘
    Listening to ad in the beginning of the conversation is ok , but repetition after every two minutes is a bit odd.

P.S. They should increase the time gap between each ads may be 5 - 6 minutes.😁
    Won't convert into revenue for the advertisers. They'll have to keep the frequency of the ads and call duration at a number that works for both.

2 minutes is definitely annoying! 😁
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Just a crazy (engineer) thought: What if the tele-marketers use this service? I get bombarded with ads: First from the executive explaining how I should GET HDFC credit card; and another ad that says how I should get ICICI credit card πŸ˜‰

PS: I hope they won't make the ads context sensitive; tapping into our conversations.
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    I have asked the CEO and Co-Founder of FreeKall - Yashas Shekar to join us here to answer the questions that CEans may have.
    Let us hope that he joins us soon. πŸ‘
  • georger
    georger
    Good monetization strategy if you have Android or iOS try this app as it gives free calling for 30 in a single call with no ads.

Dingaling App,Free Voice Calling To India,US,UK,Canada,China | Crawlerguys
  • Dhananjay Harkare
    Dhananjay Harkare
    I totally agree with @#-Link-Snipped-# that the idea is similar to trunk calls. Also there's a big chance which would hamper user's privacy if FreeKall maintains database of contact numbers and tapping conversations.
  • satyajit rules
    satyajit rules
    this app seems to be cool & intersting.. u have to just dial a no. 080-67683693..after one ring it will disconnect..then you will get a call back..now you need to put the no. you want to call..the best part is it doesnot require any internet supported phone..u can try it from any phone..πŸ˜€πŸ˜πŸ˜

but it is weird to hear ads during the call it may hamper your flow of talking & privacy too.. 😴
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Any update on this? Has anyone given it a try?
  • lal
    lal
    Their website says the beta testing phase is over and they will be back by April 15th with the final product and more features. An interesting wait 😁
  • Chintan Umarani
    Chintan Umarani
    I tried this Freekall service couple of days ago...It's not working. πŸ˜”
  • Gurwinder Singh
    Gurwinder Singh
    Ankita Katdare
    Engineers from M S Ramaiah Institute of Technology, Bangalore have come with a new free voice calling service called 'FreeKall'. Developed by a trio of Yashas Shekar, Vijayakumar Umaluti and Sandesh Eshwarappa, FreeKall service makes it possible for users to make free voice calls without the need to access Internet using data packets on their phones. All this is being offered for no cost, because FreeKall will be incorporating advertisements between your voice calls. So, if you have no problem in listening to some ads in the middle of your conversation, this service is the right thing for you.

Here's how it works - You dial the FreeKall number or give a missed call on it. On doing that, Freekall calls you back on your number. Once you answer the call, you have to enter the number of the person with whom you want to talk. Finally, FreeKall will dial and connect you with that number and then you can start talking for free. The great part is that even if you have a basic phone like the classic Nokia 1100 or a high-end smartphone such as iPhone, FreeKall will work on all devices. When the call is connected, the user hears an ad instead of a ringtone. And at intervals of two minutes, the caller and the called party will have to pause the conversation and hear an ad.

freekall

Currently, if you are an unregistered user, you can make a call that lasts three minutes, while if you register, the conversations can last 12 minutes. The folks behind the FreeKall project have promised that after a month there will be no limit to the amount of time a person can FreeKall. We will also have facility to make International calls within a month, once the team obtains legal clearances.

According to a report on Economic Times, FreeKall team is targeting to handle 10 million calls a day while making $30 million by the end of 2015. The company has raised a seed capital of Rs. 10 lakh from Ranjith Cherickel, a telecom professional with experience in the field and is planning to take FreeKall international. The team has also put up a video for their service. Have a look -

​
    What are your thoughts on the new free voice calling service in town? Share with us in comments below.
    ​
    Source: #-Link-Snipped-#
    I will register my two number. And will call to my partner from both number if add will start in between i will start speaking from 2nd number and my partner will hold/ unhold respectively. How is it? ;-) πŸ˜›
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Quoting the entire post is not a good idea, because it creates duplication of content.

Only the quote the paragraph or sentence that you want to reply on.
  • Gurwinder Singh
    Gurwinder Singh
    Somebody can register his two number. And can call to his partner from both number if add will start in between he can be start speaking from 2nd number and his partner can hold/ unhold him respectively.
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    Another crazy thought to tackle with annoying ads:
    Ads will come in defined number of minutes.
    Create a android/ios app which will block sound of ad and play your favorite music. 😁
  • Vikram S Bargah
    Vikram S Bargah
    Anoop Kumar
    Another crazy thought to tackle with annoying ads:
    Ads will come in defined number of minutes.
    Create a android/ios app which will block sound of ad and play your favorite music. 😁
    that too is a block in two way communication

P.S: Just think, You trying to apologies your crush for not picking up the call & after a minute u hear "DEKHA JO TUJHE YAAR DIL ME BAJI GUITAAR....😁" 😁

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Name: Er. B C Dinesh *Engineering Trade: CIVIL Engineering Location: MAngalore, Karnataka *Occupation: Working Work Experience: 22+ Years *Hobbies & Interests: Interested in Innovative Engineering, Expertise In Cable stayed and...
Gaurav Dahake submitted a new project: BuyHatke Browser Add On For Google Chrome & Mozilla Firefox - A revolutionary hack for getting the best price always I am an engineer...
Developed by Robert Jacob, a computer scientist and Sergio Fantini, a Biomedical engineer from Tufts University’s Human-Computer Interaction Lab, a new headband that will read brain's activity and use this...
Hello people! πŸ˜€ This is Chhavi here!! I describe myself as "A Simple girl with a caring heart, truthful soul and ambitious mind." I am an Electronics Engineer. Placed at...
*Engineering Trade: Software Development Location: Bangalore *Occupation: Working with Ricoh Innovations Work Experience: around 8.5 Years of industry experience *Hobbies & Interests: Music, Travel, Surfing, Reading, Dancing *Aim in life:...