Free Wi-Fi Hotspots On Bangalore's M.G. Road & Brigade Road - First In India

Bangalore's M.G Road and Brigade road would soon get free wi-fi hotspots, making the city India's first to have them and make the rest of us jealous. The idea of offering free wifi Internet to everyone on these locations in Bangalore is the brainchild of former Infosys executive, Mr. Mohandas Pai who believes that while India's going through IT revolution, Internet connectivity still remains a big problem. The service is expected to commence in April and the pilot project will run for 6 months after which it will be evaluated and possible expansion plans will be announced.

As we learn from the sources, the decision of offering free Wi-Fi Hot Spots at important shopping destinations in Bangalore was taken sometime last year and the company D-VoiS has been awarded the contract to provide the services.

free-internet-bangalore

Once the pilot is successful, Government of Karnataka will share the results with other ISPs who'd be willing to participate in providing free Internet access in various parts of Karnataka. A revenue-sharing model will be proposed depending on the success of the pilot project.

The Internet & Mobile Association Of India expects about 165 million Indians to be connected to the Internet by 2015 through their smartphones. The adoption of smartphones in India is growing at a breathtaking pace with the arrival of budget friendly smartphones from global and national players.

Our Opinion: This move is definitely an interesting one and it'd be interesting to see how the Government & ISP figure out a business model around offering wireless Internet access to everyone. More important would be the security related issues and protection from intruders and hackers who might become impossible to trace. There are ways to tackle this - by offering a unique authentication to the users. On the revenues side, we expect advertising would be the most obvious way to pay for the bills.

Do share your thoughts.

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Just thought of expressing an opinion - most of the South Indian states in India seem to be more willing to experiment with Internet and Technology. Hyderabad Metro Rail To Get NFC Based Tickets! is India's first to implement the NFC based ticketing! I believe the implementation was GPS in trains was also done first in the southern states.

Now, it's the Karnataka Government taking up steps in the right direction. What say you, folks?

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Engineers at Volkswagen have set their eyes on building the world's most fuel efficient hybrid car and are aiming to achieve 261 miles per gallon (mpg) aka 110 kilometers per...
People love to talk about recession and a general slow-down in the IT industry. Whenever companies reduce the pace of hiring, people think we're going through recession. There can be...
BITS Pilani, one of India's premier engineering colleges, has organised Conquest 2013 - an International Startup Conclave. The official website of the event makes it clear that it's not a...
MAY I KNOW THE FUNCTIONS OF USING CLEATS IN MECHANICAL STRUCTURAL FABRICATION WORK.
I have this project that requires me to show how instrumentation can be used. Because of limited time and financial constraints I am hoping to hear of creative ways to...