FPGA 5V TTL to control 9.5V 1A motor

Hi!

I have an assignment that I need some help with, I hope this is the right place for it.

I'm completely new to this kinda thing and I've spent about 4 whole days trying to figure this out.

The assignment reads:

Design a circuit that will let you control a engine that runs on 9.5V and 1A thru an output on an FPGA (Nios2DE) that leaves 5V 1mA TTL.

I have to build 4 of these on a budget of about $3.

I've figured as much as I need to use transistor(s) as a switch.

I've been doing some calulations, but I don't get it to add up.

Please help!

Thanks!

/Holly

Replies

• gohm
    gohm
    Can you share your calculations for us to see?
  • Holly
    Holly
    That's the thing, I don't quite understand everything, so I'm not sure HOW to do the calculations. 😳

These are the designs that I've come up with:

[​IMG]

In this case what I want is for the transistor to be fully saturated. This would be, if I can find a transistor that will be saturated with an Ib=1mA.
    The transistor should be able to handle a minimum of 1.5A.

The more likely scenario, if I have understood that much, is this:

[​IMG]

Please help me figure this out! 😒

Thanks!

/Holly

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hiii all, Why is that at bad channel condition, i.e (Channel with noises present), QPSK gives higher error rate compared to BPSK, whereas at good channel condition, BPSK gives higher...
I have found this forum intrsting so i joined . i found ppl share a gud space of engineering knowledge i am studying in BITS PILANI I WANT u ppl...
The answer was obvious I can diodes conduct currents lower that Average Forward Rectified Current
I would like to build a 12vdc data logger.. and i would like to collect the data on my pc using lab view since im not into programming. Does anyone...
Hey everybody! I want to go training in the summer for mechatronics engineering, I'm still studying 3rd year but I still don't know where, and I can't find anything on...