Ford's Explorer Is Most Fuel Efficient SUV In Market

Ford motor co. has launched a new EcoBoost variant in its famous seven seater sedan the Explorer. The new four cylinders EcoBoost engine has brought Explorer at par with BMW's gas powered 3 series in terms of efficiency. The new Ford now leads Honda's Pilot and Toyota's highlander by 20% and 12% efficiency respectively. The full-size, three-row Explorer with EcoBoost engine also crossed the mileage offered by Subaru Impreza. Ford's explorer is now the most fuel efficient SUV in the market.

#-Link-Snipped-#
Ford's Explorer. Image courtesy : Media Ford

The latest design of the explorer has been rated with an EPA mileage of 28 mpg. This improvement came from the growing concept which says SUV's deserve more mileage considering their caliber. The EcoBoost engines are the two liter capacity power houses with direct gasoline fuel injection combined with turbocharging. It has a power of the original V6 engines and an efficiency of a typical 4 cylinder engine. Ford motor company accounts for around 125 patents as far as this EcoBoost engine is concerned as per reports by #-Link-Snipped-#.

Ford is aiming to provide its customers with a superior mileage by combination of technology consisting of a “twin independent variable camshaft timing" or Ti-VCT. The direct gasoline injection is very helpful in this case. Other techniques of the EcoBoost engine in increasing efficiency is "Electric power assisted steering" (EPAS) and a 6F35 six-speed automatic transmission. The overall design of the Explorer which also includes 5W-GF5 motor oil and a variable-displacement air conditioning compressor aims at avoiding unnecessary friction which affects in reduction of efficiency.

The new sedan launched boasts of a delivering 240 HP power when running at 5,500 rpm and generates a torque of 270 lb-ft at a rotary speed of 3,000 rpm. The newer version of Explorer is advanced as compared to its earlier V6 engine which gave a mileage of 17 mpg in city driving and 25 mpg on highway when running under standard conditions. The upgraded sedan also has some aerodynamic advantages. Explorer now has an improved and a smooth shape with minute aerodynamic detailing. The automobile features optimized front air dam with light weight components. The designers have kept it as light as possible and avoided making it a bulky one. The SUV also has a rear lift gate spoiler lip. EcoBoost is first such application of this new engine in North America.

The model is already so much hit in market that ford has already doubled its sales volume in the year 2010. Ford motor co. has sold over 65,823 vehicles till June this year. It is a record break happening because even a six months sales figure exceeds last year’s sales volume. The car is being assembled in Ford's Chicago assembly plant.

Replies

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

A new photovoltaic energy-transition system developed at MIT can be catered by heat alone, producing electricity with no sunlight at all. Although the principle called for is not new, a...
Google Page Speed Service has been launched - Google's new online service to bring Google Speed to your websites. This time limited free online service speeds up loading of your...
Engineers at University of Southampton have designed and tested the Southampton University Laser Sintered Aircraft aka SULSA. This unmanned air vehicle (UAV) could bring a new revolution to the economics...
Well, frankly speaking, I'm one of those self-obsessed guys who loves to take self-portraits and upload it on some social networking site in a hope to receive a few "likes"...
BMW's Eco-friendly ‘i’ Concept family's first cars - the all-electric car i3 and the hybrid supercar i8 have been unveiled. The BMW i3 Concept, also called as the MegaCity Vehicle...