force sensor

hi guys,
i need to know the average force applied on a wall while painting using a roller. for this i need to conduct a test using strain gauges or any other force sensors. but i don't have the facilities and equipments. so help me if anybody can please.
regards,
satanas

Replies

• BigOhm
    BigOhm
    Do you have a spring scale?
  • gohm
    gohm
    Good idea BigOhm. Satanas, they make push force indicators (modified spring scales) used to show force in push/pulling. They are commonly used to measure ADA code compliance for doors and the like. You can buy them online or from a place like Grainger/McMaster-Carr. You could attach one to your roller.
  • satanas
    satanas
    thank you Ohm for your suggestion, but i have no means of measuring it. if you guys have those spring scales, can you send me a picture of it please.

thanks a lot!
    satanas
  • gohm
    gohm
    do a search for "door force gauge" or "force gauge" and you will find a lot. from mechanical to electronic.
  • BigOhm
    BigOhm
    OK, so let's say you've got a typical paint roller that has a steel rod and a wooden or plastic handle. Take the handle off. Weld a washer on the shaft. Ream out the handle. Buy a compression spring and put in the reamed handle hole so that it compresses as you push on the roller. Make some mm marks on the steel rod so you know how far the spring compresses. Afterwards, clamp the rod vertically in a vise and balance a plastic pop bottle on the end of the handle. Fill the bottle with water till it compresses to the same point. measure the water. 1 mL = .0098 N.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Dear mates 😀 I want your help; I'm trying to construct a remote health monitoring system, I will use GSM modems and interface it with computer. so my questions are:...
Got the following from NMIMS [Narsee Monjee Institute of Management Studies] - NMIMS with O2 Supply is conducting a entrepreneurial showcase entrepreneur event. It is an event for serious entrepreneur...
We dont' have much information about this event. What I gathered from the banner on the site: News from India on Technology, Electronics, Computers, Open Source & more: EFYTIMES.COM is...
how to identify the difference between the industrial refrigeration valves and commercial appliance refrigeration valves
TechCrunch recently posted that Google's much awaited Operating System, Chrome OS will be launched next week. Details : Google Chrome OS To Launch Within A Week