Foosball Playing Robot Beats Humans

It's not new for the machines to beat humans in the games humans designed; the latest one being the Foosball. Students studying at Automatic Control Laboratory have designed a Foosball playing robot that beats humans easily & quickly. The Foosball table pictured below looks ordinary game table; but it's not. In fact, it's been conquered by the machine built by the students as a part of their academic project. The machine can control the mechanical arms and 'kick' the ball at 6 m/s - quite fast to beat any average Foosball player. Christophe Salzmann, the head of the project, says that their creation would eventually prove to be more accurate, faster and 'strategic' than any player.

slide

The machine uses a high-speed camera to accurately determine the position of the ball at any moment in time. A computer then adjusts the mechanical arm to make the moves. The bottom of the table is made transparent so that the high-speed camera can track the ball in real time. Image processing algorithms ensure that they know where the ball is and then direct the mechanical arms to correct positions. The team has not achieved the perfection they're aiming for yet, but their work is in progress.

The ultimate goal of the project is to have two robots playing against each other. We bet that'd be an interesting game to watch. What say you?

Source: A Robot to Beat Humans at Foosball - EPFL

Replies

• Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Do you really think its fare to build games especially for robots?I dont think so.It make us underwstimate ourselves and degrade us.
  • prahu mac
    prahu mac
    nope i don't think so!!!!!!!
  • Nayan Goenka
    Nayan Goenka
    CSK AUTO
    Do you really think its fare to build games especially for robots?I dont think so.It make us underwstimate ourselves and degrade us.
    I dont believe that is the best way to think about this. This will help in deploying robots to other fields where instant decision making and alertness will be deployed. And its an application on a game, think about it when this swiftness comes into real play.
  • Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Nayan Goenka
    I dont believe that is the best way to think about this. This will help in deploying robots to other fields where instant decision making and alertness will be deployed. And its an application on a game, think about it when this swiftness comes into real play.
    So you quoted that implying technology increases decision making.It implies that you are supporting technology surrounding the system but this news is all about tech inside the system.So you want to sit aside to see a match where humans were not playing.Do you think it will be interesting?
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    CSK AUTO
    There's nothing wrong with building games especially for robots. Right at this stage, they're just machines doing the stuff they've been programmed to do. The RoboWars, if you have seen any of them, are totally cool to watch. Plus, playing video games against computer is really challenging.

I still remember having a really hard time beating the 3rd and 4th level computer in Othello. On a bigger scale, they have Deep Blue (Chess) and Watson (Jeopardy).
  • Nayan Goenka
    Nayan Goenka
    CSK AUTO
    So you quoted that implying technology increases decision making.It implies that you are supporting technology surrounding the system but this news is all about tech inside the system.So you want to sit aside to see a match where humans were not playing.Do you think it will be interesting?

It is not only about a match where two robots are playing. It is just an application. When it builds up, you can expect those robots to perform more important tasks in real world scenario where you will be grateful for them.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

​ Hello everybody. I have a set of ideas on designing a concept hybrid car, with more efficiency. One important part, is using piezoelectric materials on any element that is...
Guys, Is there any other advanced method to check the Internal & External thread profiles apart from the conventional thread ring & plug gages? We do have profile projectors &...
Understanding Engineers #1: Two engineering students were biking across a university campus when one said, "Where did you get such a great bike?" The second engineer replied, "Well, I was...
UDFj-39546284 holds the record for the most distant galaxy found so far. Its light which has reached us now has been traveling for 13.4 billion years before reaching us, which...
I wish Brihad Bangalore Mahanagar Palike would learn something from this. It has developed an extraordinary way of filling pot holes that fills empty pockets first. https://gizmodo.com/building-a-highway-is-way-more-complicated-than-youd-t-1193344004