Flywheel: Will It Remain Of Same Size?

This s a very basic doubt regarding turning moment diagram. I have 2 engines. One is single cylinder and other is multi cylinder. Both are of same power rating. Theoretically, their flywheel will remain of same size.
Can I take a chance to reduce the size flywheel for multi cylinder engine for the sake of economics? Given that the turning moment diagram will produce constructive interference?

Replies

• Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    A fly wheel minimises angular velocity fluctuations, which is related to friction also. Greater the friction greater the fluctuation. The analogy here can be the ripple in a single phase full wave rectifier and a three phase one. . The ripple is much less in a three phase supply for the same power. Likewise the rotational fluctuation in a multi cylinder machine will be lower than that in a single cylinder one. We can safely assume that the friction is same since power is same.
    In my opinion you can considerably downsize the Fly wheel.

You can see the detailed design here:
    #-Link-Snipped-#
  • white_hat
    white_hat
    Highly tuned sports cars have reduced flywheel mass, but they have considerably high idle rpm.
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    white_hat
    Highly tuned sports cars have reduced flywheel mass, but they have considerably high idle rpm.
    That high rpm is why the fly wheel can be smaller as you suggest.
  • Amith Gupta
    Amith Gupta
    so ..it is dependant on the criteria that the inertial operation stays the same?

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Dear Crazyengineers, ​ First of all, Hello, And i am new in crazyengineers forum. So, I am here for need help from all of you seniors. Now on Topic, I...
a stepper motor used in a gas stove to control the motion of the knob create a spark??.....and if so, how to avoid it?
Ford EcoSport, the much awaited SUV from the stables of American auto major has made its way to China. The Ecosport SUV will be available in the Indian Car Bazaar...
i want to make project of machine design and cad 2 . but i donot have idea what type of topic i should have selected . and proceed on words...
Someone please tell me where to find RFID reader and tags and how much does it cost?