Flywheel Control

Now consider a situation :

a very flywheel is mounted on the spindle of an electric motor, and the motor rotates at its highest speed. now the flywheel is designed in such a way that if the motor is turned off, the flywheel will cause the spindle to rotate at the same high speed for atleast half an hour, after the power to the motor is cut off.

now suppose we want to turn off the motor and want the spindle to stop at the same time, without using any mechanical brakes, how can this be achieved electrically ?

Replies

• Kedar Malwadkar
    Kedar Malwadkar
    The question is really interesting, there should be some way!
    Have you found anything?
  • zaveri
    zaveri
    i have considered that instead of just turning off the motor, we can reverse its polarity, so that the opposite torques cancel each other.

what do you think about it ?
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    There is no escape from Newton's first law of motion.
    So the first thing to do is to use a magnetic clutch and disengage the flywheel from the spindle. If the motor is a low inertia, printed circuit motor, a magnetic brake will stop it quickly. Even then there could be some delay due to even the small inertia of the spindle.
  • zaveri
    zaveri
    bioramani
    There is no escape from Newton's first law of motion.
    So the first thing to do is to use a magnetic clutch and disengage the flywheel from the spindle. If the motor is a low inertia, printed circuit motor, a magnetic brake will stop it quickly. Even then there could be some delay due to even the small inertia of the spindle.
    yeah that is true, the motor spindle will have some inertia.

all that i wanted to achieve is stop the flywheel from performing its function.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Here are the leaked images as seen on tech blog BGR. You can see some familiar cellphone model numbers too, like Sony Xperia, Samsung Galaxy Tab, HTC Rhyme, Motorola Droid...
Singularity University is a visionary educational institute whose mission is to assemble, educate, and inspire a new generation of leaders who strive to understand, develop, and deploy exponentially advancing technologies...
Hiii....I would like 2 get information on creating a GUI using Python for my projct on EXAMINATION MANAGEMENT SYSTEM which is meant for the automation of seating arrangement,attendane list preparation...
Can you help me to get the latest and attractive seminar topics.....
Can my fellow electrical engineers talk about Reactance Vs. Susceptance And Impedance Vs. Admittance - Key Differences?