Flawless design, but...

We design may of our remote sites with lots of redundancy and think of many failure scenarios that we can recover from with minimal impact.

Today, one of the sites experienced a brief power failure. Something our designs definitely can operate through without any issues. The one thing that even the best design needs to consider.

A local technician that left the generator in bypass mode during his last maintenance. It's a mechanical handle with no way to query the state/position of the handle. In this mode, the generator does not provide power when plant/grid power is removed.

Something so simple would have made it a non-event, but we ended up spending hours getting equipment back to normal operation.

Replies

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

If your lightening cable is showing signs of buldging near the connector shroud, please consider this image of a cable that I found one morning. I recommend disposing of it...
Name: Chandan Kumar Gupta Engineering Trade: Electronics and Communications + MBA in IT Location: Pune Occupation: Working Work Experience: 5+ years Hobbies & Interests: Movies, Badminton Aim in life: To...
Hi all .my college is conducting tech fest 'DYUTHI' between sep 3-5 .As a preliminary step the ECE department to which i belong is conducting a promo known as quintessence.We...
Before diving straight into this subject, let me outline what PLM basically is, and what scope it offers. What is PLM? Product Lifecycle Management (PLM) is an information-driven process of...
A lot of our fellow CEans are writing in to know when will they be granted access to CE-IO. However, not everyone will get access today itself. Here is how...