First Day At College : Share Your Story

First day at the College (especially when you are an engineering student) is always a memorable one.

Some start their engineering life with pranks/mischief , some with new friends (that stick to you till the last day), some with being ragged (by seniors), some with punishments, some with excitement.

Share your memory of the first day at your college.

Replies

• narayana murthy
    narayana murthy
    my first day is started with pleasure and excitement there happened a fun with seniors
    one of senior of other group and he is also my friend asked me to know details of a girl
    i went there asked her are you from 1st year
    she said yes i told same to him
    he went to rag
    after 2 minutes he came back and scold me saying she is from mca
    i am not able to stop my laugh at that time thats the first day in my college
    and many such funny events
    i love my college
    anyway thanks akd for starting such a good thread
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    @narayana: Good one! 😁
  • Reya
    Reya
    The first day of my college is the most unforgettable day in my life.I was one week late to the college due to some reasons.That was my first day.

My first class was Electrical engineering which was taken by Shahid Ali sir.His lecture was awesome!No words to explain.Everyone will listen the class.He will make the session very interesting by giving problems and ask us to solve within few mins!First ten minutes he will question us about the previous class lecture.Last ten minutes for clearing the doubts.

Some of my seniors ragged me. They asked me to dance or sing in the stores before everyone.I started crying.One of my seniors told we wont leave you if u act.Finally i sung a song.Thank god nobody fled away from that placeπŸ˜€

I entered the hostel. People were busy chatting with each other.I dono anybody in my college and i felt that i'm alone.My room mates asked about me and and i replied them in a single word.I'm very silent(only in first year,later became very naughty and bold)

I was missing my parents on the very first day. I cried a lot in the wash room.I packed my things to go back to my home and i called my mom.I told her i cannot study here.I dont want to be independent.I will join some other college which is near to our home.My mom advised me dont worry,once you get accustomed with that place you will be alright.I should be independent.If i get friends I will not come back to home.I disconnected the call and started crying again.My first day ended up with tears drenched my pillow.
  • shreyasm89
    shreyasm89
    Well, my first day was quite uneventful but yes the friends I made on that day have been with me uptil now. we had our class in the newly-constructed building of our college. Out of excitement, I had turned up quite early, not many people were around. Before the first lecture I tried to chat up the one sitting beside me , asking him about his entrance exam scores. Some overzealous guys started answering questions even before the prof started teaching(effect of coaching classes). I roamed around the entire day in perpetual fear of the SENIORS. We were asked to take down machine drawings from the charts hung on the wall in the workshop, everyone was pissed of & eventually used our camera phones to do our work. By the end of the day I found 2 good friends & we have stuck together still. Overall the 1st day was a pleasant one
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    @Pravee & Shreyas: Awesome recollection CEans πŸ˜‰

I did a diploma in engineering straight after I completed high school. It is not common for students who score really high in the final school board exams. Almost everyone told me that I had made a wrong choice be deciding to join polytechnic college (where we get Diploma within a duration of 3 years & then get admission to II year B.E. directly)
    Some even told me that only the dumb ones :-| (i.e. who can't score well at competitive exams OR under-performers opt for diploma)
    I was being skeptical on the very first day.
    We had to go by bus in the first year. I was taking random glances at other students' faces. No friend. Nobody did diploma, I thought. πŸ˜’ Were they all right after all? 😲

Reached college. Climbed down the bus. And saw a couple of friends from old primary school. Got along well. Sat in the lectures the rest of the day. No sign of ragging since the seniors were at another branch of the college. 😁
    Got very well acquainted with the friends by the end of the day.

And what a journey it has been since that day. Total roller-coaster ride. Those friends have stuck together till this day. Believe me they are not dumb at all. ;-)
    I proudly call the 3 years "the best days of my life".

Getting a degree is just for the namesake. What we learned in those 3 years was true practical knowledge. Sadly where I stay a degree course has nothing new to offer to us diploma holders- syllabus wise/fun wise.
  • Reya
    Reya
    @shreya:Thats coolπŸ˜€

@AKD:Hearing that you did diplomo after high school I got shockedπŸ˜€But thats a good option to gain practical knowledge!
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    @Praveena: Shocked? Why?

@all others: Come on! Share your story. We would like to read some fun stuff.
  • Manashree Thokal
    Manashree Thokal
    My first day of the college was not much interesting.

I was some 8 days late to the college. I was very nervous. Reached the building half hour earlier and just talked to my old friends on the phone.
    I suck at making new friends, so I was already prepared for a boring day. I had no idea what lectures were going on. Completed the few formalities in the office.
    Everything seemed so boring that I did not attend it after the recess.

A friend of mine showed me the whole campus.. which was the only good time spent.
    Engineering college campuses are the best part. 😁
  • nenuadwani
    nenuadwani
    my first day in college.
    well it was a grand one. morning moving inside the campus a girl of my class asked me the way to our building wishing me in honor and little nervous thinking i was a senior from pharmacy section. well, i told the way towards our block as i had already visited the college once and had the idea where our block was. the situation went totally funny when we entered the same class and faced each other. i was almost into laughs.πŸ˜›πŸ˜›πŸ˜›

then i got friendly with a girl and she is my best friend up till now. then came up our introduction in communications class and we both were into laughs when one of our class mate introduced himself as if shouting at the faculty. we never liked that guy for such an introduction.

in all the day ended with lots of introductory sessions and a huge tiring time.
    but friends in all the college lyf becomes the most enjoyable years of our life and the one we hate at the first year become our best friends for ever.:smile:
  • itchap
    itchap
    My first day of the college is start with ragging. As soon as seniors start ragging on of my friend reach there and told me that ragging of Local Guys is not allowed. When seniors heard this they left me.πŸ˜€

But at the end of the day one of my 2nd year senior who is also a Local Guy told me to give red rose to a girl. That girl was his classmate. So i reach there and give her rose. She understood that this is part of my ragging. She smiled and gone. Later i had a very good friendship with that girl and she gave me all her books.πŸ˜€
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Why did this thread die out?
    I am sure we have engineers with interesting stories to share.
  • silverscorpion
    silverscorpion
    The first day at college for me is unforgettable, not because of any ragging or the kind, but because of the heavy duty scolding I got right in the first hour from my professor.

Since it was the first day, we had an orientation session where all the students were divided into batches and allotted the classrooms. Immediately after that session was over, we were asked to go to our respective classrooms, as classes were scheduled to begin in some 15 min. Our college being so huge as it is, and me being myself, didn't bother to ask anyone where my class is. So, I managed to find my class only after some 25 min, and the professor was already there. He had already finished the introduction of what that course is about and what they will be doing that semester. And then, there I was, standing outside and asking "may I come in".. He looked at me.. Immediately he became very angry. He said "no need to come in.. Go away!". Then after some consideration, he said "how can u come late in the first day itself? come in.."

I thought thank God!! But the real fun was only beginning. After I entered, he stopped his lecture about the subject, and started telling about how today's youth are lacking any good qualities.. No punctuality, no seriousness, no interest and proactiveness to excel, no this, no that.. All the time, he was looking at me and quoting me as an example.. I thought I was done for. Till the hour was over, he was going on non-stop.

I can't forget it ever!!

PS (The fact that later I did get a 9 pointer in his subject is another thing πŸ˜‰ )
  • Selva rocks
    Selva rocks
    My first day at the College is always a memorable one that stick to us till the last day.

On the 1st day I donno where is my classroom and I ask one sir but he told me wrong room no. I straightaway entered tat class(already no. of students sitting there) and seated in the last bench with nervous. That time everyone looking at me. One guy near to me asked are u a 1st year guy? I told him ya. Then he replied this is not 1st year classroom, u've to go next room. That time I shocked and ran out of the class, while everyone of them laughing at me πŸ˜› πŸ˜› πŸ˜› I felt very shy.

Finally I entered the right classroom of mine and seated at the last bench.
    That is the funniest thing happen in my life.
  • Dancer_Engineer
    Dancer_Engineer
    Cool thread! 😁

My first day of the college! It went like this:
    My sister had dropped me college and then she left wishing me a good day. I was like, yeah let's see. Then I entered the campus to see there was a big notice on the bulletin board with the title: FE FRESHERS, and it listed the classroom numbers according to our roll numbers. We had got our roll numbers at the time of admission. So I went to the first floor and entered the classroom, to see the class already so full of freshers all seated in the first few benches; so I went and sat in the 3rd last bench near the window.

So the first lecture was BCE (Basic Civil Engineering), the professor came and immediately started listing out the 6 units and the different chapters. It was interesting. I seemed to like the subject. But then suddenly I realized (after 30minutes), the professor is talking all Civil, and I took admission for Computer. I was like, damn I entered the wrong class or did I by mistake opt for the wrong branch. πŸ˜• I immediately stood up and interrupted the professor and told her, "Mam, I think I have entered the wrong class.". She asked my roll number and name, cross-checked and told me that it is the right class. I was standing there amazed, not able to understand what's going on, everyone was looking at me, I was nervous and confused and the center of attraction for a few seconds 😁, but I needed clarification. I again insisted and told Mam that I have opted for Computer not Civil, I was panicking by then thinking my father will scold me for this 😁. She then told me that first year subjects are common for all branches. I didn't knew that. Then I heaved a sigh of relief.

Huufff! 😁
  • K!r@nS!ngu
    K!r@nS!ngu
    First day at college ..... Awesome thread.

I went to the college with a nervous feeling. When i entered to the class, it's already full with the mixture of all branches students and i had to search for a place to seat. First day went with the introduction of all subjects. I remember the class by my fav. lecturer(mathematics professor), he explained the way how to solve the maths problems easily, and i was addicted to his lectures with that class.

I was surprised to see three of my intermediate classmates met in the same class. I got some more new friends on the same day. Nobody ragged me on the first day, because seniors had different schedule . So i felt happyπŸ˜€.

One funny incident i want to share with you guys:

It was the third class of the day i guess, C Programming introduction class, professor asked all of us, anybody attended the summer coaching for any programming language ??
    One guy raised hand and said: " Yes Mam , i did MS office 1 month course ". Everybody laughed at him, and that was the memorable day in my life.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Wow! Great stories! We should now also have 'Last Day Of College' thread πŸ˜‰
  • Dancer_Engineer
    Dancer_Engineer
    K!r@nS!ngu
    One guy raised hand and said: " Yes Mam , i did MS office 1 month course ".
    LOL, seriously. 😁
  • aarthivg
    aarthivg
    my first day of my college is quite different.
    by mistake i went to 2nd year mechanical class. all the guys started staring at me differently. then i ran away from that class. then during break hour some of the guys came from that class, and started ragging me, ate my lunch and then went. but now they have became my brothers. happy ending...
  • Dancer_Engineer
    Dancer_Engineer
    The_Big_K
    Wow! Great stories! We should now also have 'Last Day Of College' thread πŸ˜‰
    Everyone will have essays to write about the Last day of College. 😁
  • ursplfrnd
    ursplfrnd
    My first two days of college were very normal as my parents accompanied me to college to attend induction program. Second day was saturday , so most of my seniors were absent to the college.

My real college life started from monday where i met my seniors in college bus while travelling to college. They asked me few general questions like bio data , what my parents do and all. It was not that scary as i visualized watching movies and hearing from others. They asked me to know all my professors names by that evening and tell them , which i thought was a very good idea. They asked me few questions like why did i join this college? why did i opt this branch ? and all. Then one of the senior started talking about the college , resources they have , how professors are and what makes them feel that a student is interested in studies and what all to do to gain their appreciation.

Yeah , there are times when they made me talk to a girl of same batch but different branch , asked me to find their names and tell them that they are beautiful. They used to rag ( sorry, interact ) me with other branch students which made me to know them.

They have taught me to know things in a harder but faster way.

'Being a senior is a great responsibility , being his junior is a great opportunity' this is what i have learnt in the early stages of my college days which made me more comfortable to interact with them.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

SEA i.e. Scientists and Engineers for America has been offering a virtual internship program for more than last 2 years. Our interns spend eight to ten hours each week researching...
I found this video by SolidWorks simply awesome. Watch this: [video=youtube;UKrf2iDCULY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKrf2iDCULY[/video]
TECHNOVISION’11 is the technical paper presentation event of TROIKA, the annual technical fest of IEEE student branch of Delhi Technological University (formerly Delhi College of Engineering), Delhi organized in the...
Am Siva.v.Girish @ Anish.;-);-);-) I used to feel very much better when others call me as shiva or chimp which is my nick name. I love thinking about logics and...
[FONT="]Turbine Supervisory Instruments[/FONT] The following supervisory instruments are furnished with the unit and are to be observed during start-up, operation and shutdown. We will explain the following instruments in detail...