Firefox Not To Be Developed For iOS.

#-Link-Snipped-# Mozilla's VP of Product, that OpenSource/Not-For-Profit Organization is not going to code it's iOS version of Web browser as long as Apple don't mend their behaviour for Third party browsers & OpenSource community.

During September 2012, Mozilla pulled back it's browser from App store due to their Apple's "not-so-accomodating" attitude.
Anyways,Only 1% of market is hold by Mozilla Firefox when it comes to web browser market.Honestly,The Apple users won't be missing Firefox as Safari is quite good in rendering techniques & JS Engines.

Screenshot from 2013-03-11 12:41:12
Source : NetMarketShare.com

What's your take, Apple Owner CEans ?
Are you gonna miss Firefox or you are happy with Safari ?

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I don't miss Firefox on iOS and I think it's Mozilla's loss. In fact, the way and speed with which the world is moving on to the apps, the entire browser category will be rendered useless in coming days. Need Gmail? Use Gmail App. Need FB? Get FB app. What to send text? Get WhatsApp. Want directions? Use Google Maps App.

The relevance of browsers is declining and I think we're slowly moving towards the 'app' economy. Which is basically returning to roots - like we had different software for specific tasks on desktop? The desktop has been replaced with the mobiles and tablets but the software has taken a step back. Now the specific applications have been replaced by mobile/tablet apps.

PS: Safari works absolutely fine on iPad. I don't like it much on iMac though.
  • Anand Tamariya
    Anand Tamariya
    Computing reached it's current penetration level only because of WWW. Even hardcore desktop proponents like Microsoft had to adapt to provide web version of their office software. Hence, IMHO browsers are not going away anytime soon.
  • Gurjap
    Gurjap
    You ever think of releasing an app for CE?
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Gurjap
    You ever think of releasing an app for CE?
    Yep, it's coming. Soon. Is all I can say.
  • Gurjap
    Gurjap
    I was kinda hoping you'd say "No", and then I'd say "Aha!! See? Browsers would always be relevant to discover and explore new and great sites like CE!!"
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Gurjap
    I was kinda hoping you'd say "No", and then I'd say "Aha!! See? Browsers would always be relevant to discover and explore new and great sites like CE!!"
    Well, the platform we're using for this website wasn't sure of sustaining itself through a legal battle it was fighting. But almost two weeks ago, it won the battle and is now back on track. Mobile theme / a dedicated app will soon follow. Our current focus however is on the stuff we've been planning for long. It's 'now' that it's seen a ray of hope. Stay tuned.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

When you're offering something on the Internet - should we call it a 'product' or a 'service'? Traditionally, a product is something that you can physically touch while service was...
Gujarat's solar project, in the Charanka village in Patan produces 214 MW of electricity every day, which is believed to be more than China (200 MW) and rest of India....
HCL is one of the preferred technology companies in India by engineers graduating in CS/IT and electronics related branches. I see a lot of candidates are searching for the recruitment...
Dear All we have three servers one name AA (PDC) BB (ADC) CC (DB SERVER), db server(CC) server is at pdc(AA) site the adc (BB)is on vpn .. Recently we...
XC = 1/(2pi(f)C) capacitive reactance. XC is inversely proportional to frequency f. Now for DC f=0. Hence XC is infinite(theoritically). Hence it blocks DC. but any how when we connect...