Find the mathematical equation for a rotating cam and follower

Consider the following moving cam (rotating round bit) with follower (straight rod):
[​IMG]
The follower is of fixed length and is attached to a fixed point on the rotating cam while the other end of the follower is guided such that it is always below the center of rotation of the cam.

Solve:
1. Draw a graph for the velocity and acceleration for the x-axis as well as the y-axis for both ends of the cam follower
2. Show your formulation

Hint:
Only if requested 😉

The answer will be posted here in a week or so
Good luck!

Replies

• Morningdot Hablu
    Morningdot Hablu
    I think the graph of acceleration along x axis is as follows

[​IMG]

where horizontal line represent the acceleration and vertical represents the angle varies.
  • Voltaire
    Voltaire
    No takers?
    Hint(s)

1. Assume circle unity i.e. r = 1
    2. Let follower length = 2[sup]0.5[/sup] (Pythagoras x[sup]2[/sup] + y[sup]2[/sup] = ℓ[sup]2[/sup])
    3. Since the top of the follower moves with the cam, x[sub]1[/sub] = cos(θ) and y[sub]1[/sub] = sin(θ)
    4. For the bottom of the follower x[sub]2[/sub] is always = 0

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hi folks.This is a show for automotive guns.So if your are interested then just join the party. For more information :: AUTOCAR PERFORMANCE SHOW 2010 ::.
Hey guys out there.This is the wonderful oppurtunity for those who are top designers.Sorry to say that today is last date for registration. so hurry :: DESIGN THE NEXT CHEVROLET...
pls give us difference between Vaccum Circuit breaker and SF6 CB, which is more reliable, better in operation and cost effective ?
could sum1 plz tell me the MATLAB code for " Generating samples of a multivariate Gaussian random process X(t) having a specified mean mx and a covariance Cx"
Sometimes, you need a great font to write that personal letter or a greeting card. Finding fonts can be difficult sometimes; but FontPark's got 70,000 of them for non commercial...