find bug in this vb6.0 code ?

I have created a login form for connecting vb6 to oracle .The following code I have wrote in click event of button login.

Private Sub cmdlogin_Click()
Dim con As New ADODB.Connection
Dim constr As String
Dim username As String
Dim pwd As String
username = Trim(txtusrname.Text)
pwd = Trim(txtpwd.Text)
constr = "provider = MSDAORA;user id = username; password = pwd;"
con.Open constr
If con.State = adStateOpen Then
 MsgBox ("oracle connected")
 Else
   MsgBox ("oracle not connected")
 End If
End Sub
Here , we are taking username and pwd from user. when I run program I get error saying ""username or pwd invalid. but when I alter the code and use below code I get correct output why ? what is the reason ?

Dim constr As String

constr = "provider = MSDAORA;user id = system; password = system;"
 con.Open constr
  Else
  End If

End Sub

Replies

• safwan
    safwan
    Any buddy ?? Please solve this .
  • sookie
    sookie
    Hi safwan,

I guess the problem is in first case, you are trying to use 'username' and 'pwd' as user-defined variables while in second case 'system' is both username and passowrd for connecting to the database. So check if your first case work if I use it like following

constr = "provider = MSDAORA;user id = "& username &"; password = "& pwd &";"

I assumed that whatever username and password user enters from UI is valid one. ๐Ÿ˜€
  • safwan
    safwan
    Hay sokie I got your point and I tried it also but its not working .Its giving same errore .
  • sookie
    sookie
    safwan
    Hay sokie I got your point and I tried it also but its not working .Its giving same errore .
    What username and password , you are entering in your textboxes?

Just a request for helping us in tracing the error- Can you display the value user is getting in 'username' and 'pwd' variable ? Try adding msgboxes for it and display the value of 'username' and 'pwd' you are getting in program. Also try to display entire 'constr' string in your program. What value it displays ?
  • safwan
    safwan
    Sokii I enter the username = system and password=system .
    Both are set by me for oracle 10 g. in my pc.
    Sokii when I entered the following code .

Dim constr As String
    Dim username As String
    Dim pwd As String
    pwd = Trim(txtpwd.Text)
    constr = "provider = MSDAORA;user id = Trim(txtusrname.Text); password = Trim(txtpwd.Text);"
    MsgBox ("you have entered" + " " + "username as " + username + " " + "password as" + " "+ pwd)
    MsgBox (constr)
    con.Open constr

Else

MsgBox (pwd + userid)

End If
    End Sub

when I enter user name as "system" ( not in double quotes) and same "system" in password text box I get first message box as :
    "you have entered username as system password as system"

In second messagebox I get following message :

" provider = MSDAORA;user id = Trim(txtusrname.Text); password = Trim(txtpwd.Text)"

Now what should I do .๐Ÿ˜ก ๐Ÿ˜”
  • Guttu
    Guttu
    safwan
    I have created a login form for connecting vb6 to oracle .The following code I have wrote in click event of button login.

Dim constr As String
    Dim username As String
    Dim pwd As String
    pwd = Trim(txtpwd.Text)
    constr = "provider = MSDAORA;user id = username; password = pwd;"
    con.Open constr
     Else
     End If
    End Sub
    Here , we are taking username and pwd from user. when I run program I get error saying ""username or pwd invalid. but when I alter the code and use below code I get correct output why ? what is the reason ?

Dim constr As String

constr = "provider = MSDAORA;user id = system; password = system;"
     con.Open constr
      Else
      End If

End Sub

Ummmmmmmmmm..
    replace
    username = Trim([B]txtusrname[/B].Text)
    with

username = Trim([B]txtusername[/B].Text)
  • sookie
    sookie
    @safwan: Can you please try to change red coloured line in your following code with my line shown in first post?

Dim constr As String
    Dim username As String
    Dim pwd As String
    pwd = Trim(txtpwd.Text)
    [COLOR="Red"]constr = "provider = MSDAORA;user id = Trim(txtusrname.Text); password = Trim(txtpwd.Text);"
    [/COLOR]MsgBox ("you have entered" + " " + "username as " + username + " " + "password as" + " "+ pwd)
    MsgBox (constr)
    con.Open constr

Else

MsgBox (pwd + userid)

End If
    End Sub

Replace red colour line with following
    constr = "provider = MSDAORA;user id = "& username &"; password = "& pwd &";"
    I couldn't understand why you are using Trim(txtusrname.Text) and Trim(txtpwd.Text) instead of using 'username' and 'pwd' variable. If you are not using these 'username' and 'pwd' variables then why saving textboxes value in them? I am not getting why you are putting dumb logics even if we are telling you how to correct it. Creating unnecessarily bugs for yourself and discussion for rest of us. ๐Ÿ˜•
  • safwan
    safwan
    sookie
    @safwan: Can you please try to change red coloured line in your following code with my line shown in first post?

Dim constr As String
    Dim username As String
    Dim pwd As String
    pwd = Trim(txtpwd.Text)
    [COLOR=Red]constr = "provider = MSDAORA;user id = Trim(txtusrname.Text); password = Trim(txtpwd.Text);"
    [/COLOR]MsgBox ("you have entered" + " " + "username as " + username + " " + "password as" + " "+ pwd)
    MsgBox (constr)
    con.Open constr

Else

MsgBox (pwd + userid)

End If
    End Sub

Replace red colour line with following

I couldn't understand why you are using Trim(txtusrname.Text) and Trim(txtpwd.Text) instead of using 'username' and 'pwd' variable. If you are not using these 'username' and 'pwd' variables then why saving textboxes value in them? I am not getting why you are putting dumb logics even if we are telling you how to correct it. Creating unnecessarily bugs for yourself and discussion for rest of us. ๐Ÿ˜•
    Sokii First of all I thank you for your Help .I am still student So I may commit mistakes for coding and logic. ( As I am not a professional).when I used your direction given in above quote I but its giving following message in first message I get same message second message box I get message as " False" title name as VBoracon(which is my project name) and third message box I get is
    "[Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manager] Data source Name not found and no defult driver found" .

I used (txtusrname.text ) because I want to get user names entered by user .
  • gsxraddict
    gsxraddict
    Dim constr As String
    Dim username As String
    Dim pwd As String
    pwd = Trim(txtpwd.Text)
    constr = "provider = MSDAORA;user id = " & username & "; password = " & pwd & ";"
    MsgBox ("you have entered username as " & username & " password as " & pwd & ".")
    MsgBox (constr)
    con.Open constr

Else

MsgBox (pwd & " " & userid)

End If
    End Sub

Use the & when connecting strings.
  • safwan
    safwan
    Thanks GXRADDICT Your cod is working well Actually the & was missing so I did it and it worked. AThanks sokii and Guttu for your help.
  • sookie
    sookie
    safwan
    Thanks GXRADDICT Your cod is working well Actually the & was missing so I did it and it worked.
    Did I tell something in FRENCH ? ๐Ÿ˜
  • safwan
    safwan
    sookie
    Did I tell something in FRENCH ? ๐Ÿ˜
    I am sorry !! but ๐Ÿ˜ฒ But when I used your code It was not working and giving error so I thought its wrong but after posting my above post I got realized that it is same as what you have told . ๐Ÿ˜”

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

If you're looking to monitor your network and Internet speed, track overall bandwidth usage, and get several other very useful utilities, you'd do well to download the free NetWorx. With...
In BitTorrent protocols , what is meant by 'seeding and leeching'. Can anyone give me the proper definition of this two terms.
There were some queries a while back about liquids and the Venturi effect; why pressure is lower when a fluid is compressed through a smaller aperture, etc. This is easier...
Its official now. Google has launched their own programming language called 'Go'. Go is said to have taken up all the goodies from C++ & Python. As expected, Go is...
Here's official video from Google: [youtube]wwoWei-GAPo[/youtube]