Final Year Project on SEWAGE TREATMENT PLANT

Is it possible to do such type of project or suggest any other topics

Replies

• Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    Raw sewage is 99% water, total contaminants being about 1%. Almost all conventional treatment plants tackle this as a whole. If you can come up with a means of segregating at least insoluble contamination at source and process that separately it could be a big help.

How about designing distributed air filtration systems that are self cleaning, use solar or wind power and remove bulk of the suspended particulate matter at near ground level?
  • Akarsh Pillai
    Akarsh Pillai
    A.V.Ramani
    Raw sewage is 99% water, total contaminants being about 1%. Almost all conventional treatment plants tackle this as a whole. If you can come up with a means of segregating at least insoluble contamination at source and process that separately it could be a big help.

How about designing distributed air filtration systems that are self cleaning, use solar or wind power and remove bulk of the suspended particulate matter at near ground level?
    Process the sewage water without insoluble solid? right?
    Will u tell me more about air filtration system
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    Where are you located, AKARSH? Where are you doing your Chem engg course?
  • Akarsh Pillai
    Akarsh Pillai
    A.V.Ramani
    Where are you located, AKARSH? Where are you doing your Chem engg course?
    Pune. Sinhagad College Of engineering,vadgaon.
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    Good.
    Is this a team activity? Is it a proof of concept activity or a full scale actual equipment to be built? Who funds expenses? Do you have a departmental guide? What are his/her views on what areas should be looked at?
  • Akarsh Pillai
    Akarsh Pillai
    A.V.Ramani
    Good.
    Is this a team activity? Is it a proof of concept activity or a full scale actual equipment to be built? Who funds expenses? Do you have a departmental guide? What are his/her views on what areas should be looked at?
    It is a 2 member group. Concept activity. We are not assigned with departmental guide right now. but departmental guide will be assigned in 2-3 days. Right now I am deciding what to do for my BE project
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    Consider a stand alone modular air filter that can remove >2.5 micron suspended particles using a low cost fabric filter, similar to those used in vacuum cleaners, industrial bag filters and such.
    The intake should be at a lower level. Filtered air can be delivered at a higher height. Short circuiting between intake and output must be avoided by design.
    The parameters like static air pressure to push the required volume of air through a half choked filter, some mechanism to dislodge and collect the collected debris on the fabric and ease of maintenance should be considered.
    It may be best to design it for 220 V AC operation. If alternate energy like wind or solar is used a suitable energy collector and converter can be used. The project should not include the design of these sources.
    Kick the idea around with your team mate and then present it to the guide.

Have you looked at a purely Chem E project such as a simple process for making something like tamarind powder or such?
  • Akarsh Pillai
    Akarsh Pillai
    A.V.Ramani
    Consider a stand alone modular air filter that can remove >2.5 micron suspended particles using a low cost fabric filter, similar to those used in vacuum cleaners, industrial bag filters and such.
    The intake should be at a lower level. Filtered air can be delivered at a higher height. Short circuiting between intake and output must be avoided by design.
    The parameters like static air pressure to push the required volume of air through a half choked filter, some mechanism to dislodge and collect the collected debris on the fabric and ease of maintenance should be considered.
    It may be best to design it for 220 V AC operation. If alternate energy like wind or solar is used a suitable energy collector and converter can be used. The project should not include the design of these sources.
    Kick the idea around with your team mate and then present it to the guide.

Have you looked at a purely Chem E project such as a simple process for making something like tamarind powder or such?
    Could you help me selecting manufacturing process of compounds? like tamarind powder
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    CFTRI Mysore developed a process for Tamarind powder. While teaching in the Chem Engg department at IIT Madras in 1962-69, I myself did some studies on spray drying of Tamarind powder.
    For your project you can perhaps look at producing a thick pulp concentrate rather than a powder. Using the de-seeded fruit and warm water first make a thick pulp, remove solids by centrifuging and concentrate preferably by vacuum evaporation to a viscous paste. This may be quite stable because of the low pH and may not need any added preservatives. This will be cheaper than spray or drum dried powder. Capital costs and manufacturing is likely to be cheaper than powder production.
    Please discuss with the concerned team mates and guide.

The process for powder making can be seen here:
    #-Link-Snipped-#
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    Some more info:
    UNIT OPERATIONS IN FOOD PROCESSING#-Link-Snipped-#
    #-Link-Snipped-#

Tamarind Concentrate
    #-Link-Snipped-#
  • Akarsh Pillai
    Akarsh Pillai
    So we should vary the operating condition and mass for performing this experiment? so as to find the optimized condition?
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    It is the formal guide under whom you are going to conduct this project, who should tell you how to go about. Since full technology development may not be your aim, some sort of proof of concept at lab level should do. You have to specify for yourself the specs for the end product. Size and volume of external material acceptable, viscosity of the product if a paste and shelf life without preservatives can be some of the variables. Shelf life may be difficult in the time available.

You may have to optimise the filtration steps, vacuum evaporation conditions and such.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I completed my BE in entc in June 16 unfortunately I have not placed in any company through campus.. plz guide what should I do next result is still waiting..abt...
If you own a smartphone especially an Android one, chances are it has a notification LED on the front. The notification LED which is often programmable lets you know that...
what will happen if a centrifugal pump is used for taking water into a level below its center line (certain flow rate is required). Usually performance curve is available only...
Panasonic India has put up their new smartphone for sale in the country. The Panasonic P75 was first spotted on e-commerce website Snapdeal where it is currently retailing at Rs....
ASUS recently launched two new laptops A540LA and R558UR for Indian markets at the price tag of Rs.20990 and Rs.43990 respectively. Both the devices are equipped with USB Type-C port...