Final Year Mechanical Engineering Project Idea: Auto Gear Shifting For Bicycle

Another idea popped up in my mind. I hope mechanical engineerings in their final year would find it useful -

How about developing an automatic gear shifting mechanism for bicycles? I am sure it will be useful to a lot of people who use bicycle as a primary means of commuting.

Mechanical Engineers - this is just my idea. What is your opinion/feedback?

Replies

• Differential
    Differential
    Yeah, the idea is a good as a major/minor project! But just confirm my understanding on this. The device will shift the gear automatically as speed changes to its predefined value. Right? ๐Ÿ˜€
  • kurtdaniel
    kurtdaniel
    the idea is great..lets all help to make that technology move on. #-Link-Snipped-# is one company wholl surely help in here..๐Ÿ˜
  • yadavundertaker mohit
    yadavundertaker mohit
    Differential
    Yeah, the idea is a good as a major/minor project! But just confirm my understanding on this. The device will shift the gear automatically as speed changes to its predefined value. Right? ๐Ÿ˜€
    how can we make a device which automatically shift the gear while changing the gear......may be we have to use some programming also?...

i am interested in this project....it is really a goood idea...please give suggestions how to make it....
  • blacrobous
    blacrobous
    As far as i know it doesnot require any programming we could adjust it using some cam based mechanism to shift the chain to different gears at different speeds. Just a Assumption may be ideas may spring up to you guys. ๐Ÿ˜€
  • yadavundertaker mohit
    yadavundertaker mohit
    blacrobous
    As far as i know it doesnot require any programming we could adjust it using some cam based mechanism to shift the chain to different gears at different speeds. Just a Assumption may be ideas may spring up to you guys. ๐Ÿ˜€

what i think is that basically automatic means we doesn't need to change gear manually..i.e. we have to fix the system like that for different speeds different gears adjust themself..we only have to paddle..for example i
    1-5km/hr in 1st gear
    5-10km/hr in 2nd gear
    10-15 km/hr in 3rd gear
    and above 15km/hr in 4th gear

so i think there should be a mechanism or programming type something that will change the gear....

although i also don't know abt it perfectly....๐Ÿ˜•
  • blacrobous
    blacrobous
    well i suggested a mechanism that is a cam system but yeah programming would make the job easier.
  • akkumon
    akkumon
    Little good is use conepully which give variable gear changing
  • rami ras
    rami ras
    It must a sensor based bicycle because the rider cant control his speed 100 % depending on his desires or road condtions...
    Sensors must me used to identify road conditions so that gears can move up or down...nice topic .... your comments may make the idea stronger
  • anu_mech
    anu_mech
    if it has to be a purely mech based project then .....obvoiusly mechanisms should be the way to approach...like when the speed increases, a second mechanism invokes and the gear shifts
  • sumith123
    sumith123
    rami ras
    It must a sensor based bicycle because the rider cant control his speed 100 % depending on his desires or road condtions...
    Sensors must me used to identify road conditions so that gears can move up or down...nice topic .... your comments may make the idea stronger
    how we would implement
    the data's of sensor in to practice
  • ravi002
    ravi002
    it means programs have to b der..
  • ravi002
    ravi002
    bt wat if d bicycle is suddenly stoppd... n its on 4th gear.. then to again strt the bicycle.. it wud b difficult..?
  • mech.engineerPK
    mech.engineerPK
    thats fine. i think timing gear is required.
  • goal...
    goal...
    That's it! As Akkumon says, cone pulley is the answer, cause depending on the speed, the centrifugal force will make the power transmitting member (i.e. belt) to slide away or towards the center, and hence varying the effective diameter.
    But the only question remains is the sliding of the belt on the cone pulley - (1) and other what in case of a sudden brake, when the pulley may come to a sudden stop or reduced speed? (2)
  • mech.engineerPK
    mech.engineerPK
    hmmm, so any one have answers??
  • tashirosgt
    tashirosgt
    One question is whether there is actually a consumer demand for automatic gear shifting on bicycles. I'm not a cyclist, so I don't know.

It might help to review exactly how automatic transmissions work on cars. It seems to me that the driver uses the accelerator pedal to define his desire to go faster or slower, so it is aptly named "accelerator pedal" instead of "velocity pedal". Some degree of depressing the pedal indicates "don't speed up or slow down". Letting up on the pedal completely indicates a desire to slow down. Pressing the pedal down far indicates the desire to go faster.

Are we talking about have an "accelerator lever" on the handlebar to serve this function. Or is the bicycle supposed to shift gears based on the amount of force being exerted on the bicycle's pedals. Would a certain amount of force on the pedal indicate "maintain current speed"?
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Just thought of popping up this discussion because a lot of mechanical engineering students are looking for innovative ideas. Make this work, people! ๐Ÿ˜€

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

1)where ccan i get IS codes in pdf formats and is there any document/book in which all general specifications are givin please reply 2)enverionmental NOC for any project (residential/comm/SEZ etc)...
i have thunderbird bike (Tbird Royal enfield,350 cc, AVL engine, petrol ofcourse) and i want to change its firing, i want to make a chopper from it so is it...
Hi friends. Can any one tell me how to execute an applet program.
hey... i'm final year cs student... i want to do my project in networkin... pls suggest some topics... give me details on digital signature n digital certificated
give me some info about various companies offerig V.T coudses