Final Year CS Project Idea: Intelligent GRE Words Eliminator

The name is 'GRE Words Eliminator'. I just thought of this project idea that could be really interesting. Many times, we come across a nice article that's written in heavy-English; meaning it's got words that don't make any sense unless you open up the dictionary to look for the meaning and then put it all into context. The idea is to 'simplify' all such articles by replacing all the 'GRE words' (read : tough words) into their equivalent simpler English words.

For once, I'm not sure if all the tough words can be replaced keeping the meaning, tone, emotions et al intact. The overall algorithm would be like this:-

1. Reach the paragraph.
2. Spot the 'GRE' words, aka the uncommon words in English usage.
3. Find their simpler synonyms and do a simple find+replace.
4. Re-scan the paragraph, this time for individual sentences and make sure that each sentence makes sense.

I'm not sure how #4 can be achieved. But someone master in programming might help with adding details to the above 'general' algorithm.

What do you say folks? Do you think this would be an interesting final year CS engineering project?

Replies

• Tanu Singh
    Tanu Singh
    Kaustubh Katdare
    The name is 'GRE Words Eliminator'. I just thought of this project idea that could be really interesting. Many times, we come across a nice article that's written in heavy-English; meaning it's got words that don't make any sense unless you open up the dictionary to look for the meaning and then put it all into context. The idea is to 'simplify' all such articles by replacing all the 'GRE words' (read : tough words) into their equivalent simpler English words.

For once, I'm not sure if all the tough words can be replaced keeping the meaning, tone, emotions et al intact. The overall algorithm would be like this:-

1. Reach the paragraph.
    2. Spot the 'GRE' words, aka the uncommon words in English usage.
    3. Find their simpler synonyms and do a simple find+replace.
    4. Re-scan the paragraph, this time for individual sentences and make sure that each sentence makes sense.

I'm not sure how #4 can be achieved. But someone master in programming might help with adding details to the above 'general' algorithm.

What do you say folks? Do you think this would be an interesting final year CS engineering project?
    Its interesting but it needs time to gather all such details. To make a meaningfull sentence out of a sentence which is formed by replacing GRE words its just next to impossible because english is a wide language.At present scnerio there is even no such translator which can exactly convert one language to another. The only problem is that there are no hard and fast rules in any language(except programming languages😀). Don't know who have created languages but its only human brain which can understand and learn it with time. 😀
    If someone can do it then it would be very helpful for other but i found that its a kind of project which can never be completed with full perfection.
    Sir please keep posting more of such project ideas.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Well, I've different views. This project could be done on a very small scale; starting with turning complex sentences into simpler ones. I don't think it's impossible. You can replace words with synonyms and in most of the cases, things should work out of the box.
  • Tanu Singh
    Tanu Singh
    Thats fine to replace the words with synonyms.But the only problem is to build meaningful sentence out of it and a computer can't handle all such probabilities. But for small scale it might turn out to be a good project.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

It's nothing new that, with every passing months we see new technology related to the Mobile screens is emerging.When it comes to the innovation in the screen technologies, Corning Gorilla...
Tami Reller, Windows CMO & CFO took the stage at the Microsoft's annual Worldwide Partner Conference (WPC) in Houston, Texas and announced that Windows 8.1 will be shipped to the...
You would be surprise to hear this news that Ashok Leyland is making its entry in a segment where it had been never before. Yes Ashok leyland have planned to...
Twitter has finally come up with a solution to probably one of the most annoying and persistent flaws. The read/unread status of DMs would be now synced across all platforms,...
One of the major problems with total head transplant is the joining of the head with the spinal cord. New techniques available indicate that this is feasible. If the seat...