File sharing websites - Good Or Bad?

CEans,

The Internet is full of websites which allow you to share files. For those who do not know what I'm talking about, the concept of file sharing on the internet is very simple. Simply upload the files you want to share on the website and it is then available to the world for downloading.

Do you think file sharing websites are good? Or are they responsible for software piracy, IP violation etc.?

-The Big K-

Replies

• Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Down with piracy =P
    Oh well.. file sharing websites are great. Thats until people abuse it!
  • pradeepsinghec5
    pradeepsinghec5
    It's good people can share there view
  • suyash
    suyash
    The_Big_K
    CEans,

The Internet is full of websites which allow you to share files. For those who do not know what I'm talking about, the concept of file sharing on the internet is very simple. Simply upload the files you want to share on the website and it is then available to the world for downloading.

Do you think file sharing websites are good? Or are they responsible for software piracy, IP violation etc.?

-The Big K-
    Though file sharing websites have been a great relief for those who want to transfer huge files (which cant be attached in email etc), they have simultaneously being used for sharing licensed software as well...

even if anyone wants to keep a check on such abuse, its impossible to do so due to the sheer number of such sites sprouting up day by day. and people can also hide the contents of file/folder just by renaming it... due to the lack of a proper indexing system in such websites, its too difficult to keep a track of the content being uploaded.

this has become an even bigger menace for IT cos and various affliated media (TV serial owners etc) who are running into bigger losses than the p2p networks caused them...

apparently the only solution for such menace demands extreme operations like a total closure on all these sites, or a "BIG-DADDY" type monitoring of all-the-files being uploaded (but no one has the time, nor the resources to keep things in order)..
    I guess, software-piracy is the order of the day, at least for a few more years, till the open source world takes over !!
  • deveshhh
    deveshhh
    No spammed advertisements, please.
  • aashima
    aashima
    I seldom upload. But yes, with these sites, downloading movies, shows and games is all the more simpler specially those files which are no longer available in the market. They are too tempting 😛 (I love uTorrent 😀)
    But then apart from being goodly useful, they encourage piracy to a very good extent. For that we can restrict codes and other sensitive files to be available commercially (If one can!). Moreover, entertainment files like movies, TV shows can be added after a big gap (Though I'll miss them!) from their date of release so that they do not hamper the sale of CDs and other stuff.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

hi everybody............
High Court orders demolition of 279 illegal Police Chowkys in Mumbai After PLEAD filed a writ petition, for action against Mumbai Police, the High Court on 24th October 2007, passed...
Hi i am a CSE student. i have completed core java, i am not able to graps a vast knowledge on JDBC connection. so kindly give some notes, tips &...
hi..i want to know about torrents...what are these..... how to download them...and every possible infomation possible.. actually i visite da website mininova.org..i was trying to download some torrent ..but whenever...
dear friends i m new member looking for ur fast help i need information about the reaction of chlorine and methane in wastewater treatment