Ferrite Bead

Hi all,

I always wondered about the small cylindrical shaped thing in the end of laptop charging cable, mouse/keyboard cable etc...I thought it would be for some protection or something. Dint had much idea on that. Last day i just googled about it and got the answer finally..Just sharing the info here..For those who dont know what its all about..

[​IMG]

A ferrite bead is a passive electric component used to suppress high frequency noise in electronic circuits. It is a specific type of electronic choke. Ferrite beads employ the mechanism of high dissipation of high frequency currents in a ferrite to build high frequency noise suppression devices. Ferrite beads may also be called ferrite blocks, ferrite cores, ferrite rings, ferrite EMI filters, ferrite chokes. Ferrite beads are used (in a way similar to inductors) as a passive low-pass filter. The geometry and electromagnetic properties of coiled wire over the ferrite bead result in a high resistive impedance (resistance) for high-frequency signals, attenuating high frequency EMI/RFI electronic noise. The energy is either reflected back up the cable, or absorbed resistively within the ferrite core and dissipated as low level heat. Only in extreme cases will the heat be noticeable.

For more info, just go to wikipedia and search for ferrite bead

Thanks,
Rohit

Replies

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

How can i add links in my signatures? Everyone is using but i can't 😕
i have done my engineering in computer sceince and now i was thinking of mphil..... i want a post graduation course that gives good package but is not that hard.........
Here are a few suggestions: 1. If it's a short distance that you have to travel, walk to your destination. Avoid using vehicles. 2. Don't use paper unless its very...
Hi all, I have a project using a pen drive. i want to store data in it, which can be read in any system but can't be formatted or over...
Hi, I have implemented a wind farm in Digsilent Power Factory, and now Ι am trying to run some simulations and see how the output power generated from the wind...