FEA on Tyres

I have heard that it is difficult to perform finite element analysis on automobile tyres ? If so how ? (I am quite new to the subject). Is it because of the shape which makes dividing into elements difficult or the material used ?

Replies

• Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    Rubber is an elastomer. Difficult to study using linear methods. The reinforcement also adds an extra dimension to the problem.
    Non linear methods are available. Some info is available in this white paper:
    #-Link-Snipped-#
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    An update. Please read article on FEA of crash test dummiesstarting on page 12 here:
    #-Link-Snipped-#
  • NAVATHE SACHIN
    NAVATHE SACHIN
    yes u r ryt ..circular shapes of tyres make meshing operation difficult mostly v opt for "quad elements(rectangular or square shaped elements) for meshing purpose.this quad elements are not properly spread near the centre area of tyres and they tend to become triangular element by the time they reach centre from circumference line .this makes job more difficult.
  • Amith Gupta
    Amith Gupta
    could take a sector..quad/hex mesh it and make a cyclic symmetry model. anyhow doesnt' the hyperelastic condition interfere?

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Samsung has recently launched the Samsung Galaxy S3 smartphone and the Note II will be introduced on 29th of August in Germany at Samsung unpacked event. Do you think Samsung...
I'm interested in knowing about Desktop Designing. I'm not exactly sure what it is. Just read the term somewhere and liked it.
name: shruthi .p. reddy engineering: ec occupation:studing at bmsce location:bangalore aim in life: is to establish a company of my own and i want to be a winner in life...
For all those who have missed "K"'s excellent presentation in TEDxNagpur K you are awesome..! 😀 So, My Question is when you(it means You CEans...) first joined this website,what was...
Startups that need toll free number need not spend more than just $30 for a toll free number, 500 minutes of call and 250 text messages every month. The service...