FBML Vs HTML 5

Okay, I'm not a Facebook user and have little knowledge of the FBML aka Facebook Markeup Language. How is it different from HTML and HTML 5? I'm guessing it's something to style the way stuff is displayed on FB pages?

Replies

• manishks
    manishks
    i have read some where that apis avaiable for devlopment of application in fbml is meant for facebook only...whatever is embedded in fbml is meant for facebook only.....well they dont use html i suppose....
  • manishks
    manishks
    fbml provides certain tools like fb.comments etc...they all can be used to develop fb applications only...
  • K!r@nS!ngu
    K!r@nS!ngu
    update from developers.facebook.com:

We are deprecating FBML. On Jan 1, 2012: FBML will no longer be supported on Platform. June 1, 2012: FBML apps will no longer work. All FBML endpoints are removed. If you are building a new application on Facebook.com, please implement your application using HTML, JavaScript and CSS. You can use our #-Link-Snipped-# and #-Link-Snipped-# to embedded many of the same social features available in FBML.
  • PraveenKumar Purushothaman
    PraveenKumar Purushothaman
    FBML is just like another JavaScript Library, which allows you to use Facebook specific functions at your ease. For eg, if you want to integrate a Like Box to your HTML (am not talking about the iFrame version), you would need to write a lot of codes like, bringing the Facebook's content to your HTML via AJAX and try to give the same colour and appearance. But what if you can do them with predefined stuffs, built by the Facebook people themselves? FB JS API is one, which does the same and FBML is a specific Markup Language, which translates into JavaScript at runtime, easing the work of the Developers. ๐Ÿ˜€
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Well, my question might be stupid: If it's a JS library, why is it called a 'markup' language?
  • manishks
    manishks
    sir what is js library ?
    The_Big_K
    Well, my question might be stupid: If it's a JS library, why is it called a 'markup' language?
    Not a stupid question, but a right one. If you are going to use the FBML, you are not going to type JavaScript. Instead, you will be writing the FBML Syntax, which is in no way related to JavaScript. The JS API, then translates the content to the native JS for running! ๐Ÿ˜€ Hope this clears.
    musicfreakmandy
    sir what is js library ?
    It is a huge collection of good functions, which are ready to use. ๐Ÿ˜€ For instance, if you want to make a fade effect using JavaScript, in the (g)olden days, before jQuery (a JavaScript Library) came, we used to do this way:
    Whereas now, with the help of jQuery, a powerful JavaScript Library, you can achieve the same effect by:

Did you understand the use of library?
  • manishks
    manishks
    so it is java script library were functions are predefined...we jist have to use them....by java script you are referring to java language only which is basically derived from c++...isnt it?
  • manishks
    manishks
    one more thing if we use html5 then also we cant use java script isnt it????
    Java is totally different from JavaScript. Java is by Sun (Oracle). But JavaScript is by Netscape! Just check out the differences between Java and JavaScript here:
    https://www.htmlgoodies.com/beyond/javascript/article.php/3470971/Java-vs-JavaScript.htm
    https://www.dannyg.com/ref/javavsjavascript.html
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JavaScript
    musicfreakmandy
    one more thing if we use html5 then also we cant use java script isnt it????
    HTML5 extensively uses JavaScript, if you don't know! ๐Ÿ˜€
  • manishks
    manishks
    ok then we dont use applets in html5 which is basically developed using java language which is developed by sun......but html5 uses javascript which belongs to net scape.....????
  • manishks
    manishks
    am i correct?
    musicfreakmandy
    ok then we dont use applets in html5 which is basically developed using java language which is developed by sun......but html5 uses javascript which belongs to net scape.....????
    Applet has been stopped using since XHTML 1.1!
    musicfreakmandy
    am i correct?
    Right! If you would like to add small content of post, please edit the post. ๐Ÿ˜€ Don't bump, Biggie might not like! ๐Ÿ˜€

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

hey friends please help me out m persuing b.tech cse ,nd m a 4th year student i am from ggsip university delhi we had campus drive of infosys and i...
We had Delphi recruitment in our campus, a few days back. The technical presentation during the pre-placement talk was one of the worst we had. It was given by a...
NIT, Kurukshetra is organizing CONFLUENCE'12, its National level Cultural Festival from 16th-19th February, 2012. The event would comprise of a large number of events and activities from various clubs like:...
Conclave 2011 is RKNEC (now RCOEM) annual Alumni day. All the alumni of the college are invited to attend the event. Letter from the organizers - On behalf of the...
I have made a project called music.com in my final year which is songs related website. I want to know what kind of questions should i prepare before appearing for...