Failure of short beam

Hi Every one,

It is immense pleasure to meet all you in this technical forum.

I have a basic query in strength of materials

This is about of short beam

Beam dimensions are
L=7.375 mm
Dia =15.05 mm
Tip Force=27514 N

For the above beam, following are the geometrical properties

area=177.894 mm^2
IZZ=2518 mm^4

For this kind of beam, how should we approach so as to determine the maximum stress in the component.

If i use convensional bending equation, it gives the bending stress of 606 MPa.

If i use shear stress formula, i am getting the shear stress of 155 Mpa. As this beam is shorter one, i considered vertical shear instead of longitudinal one.

My query is, which stress would cause failure in this structure. As a matter of fact, component failure appears to be shear kind. But, as per the above calculations, bending stress appears to be high.

All i want to know is, how to calculate maximum failure stress in the short beam?

Can any one throw some light regarding this.
Or else the link which contains answer for the above query would be appreciated.

Thanks

Krishnan

Replies

• Krishnan_che
    Krishnan_che
    ---------------------------------------

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hello engineers,i am doing UG in EEE..am in third year...i need some ideas from you..if u wish to provide some ideas please reply....it must be something different...i need help from...
Have you ever come across any blog that you think is the best? Well, share the link with all of us here. Condition: One blog per post. Don't club more...
hi engineers,,am doing UG in EEE..third year...i need some ideas from you...something great and different..budget is about 200 US dollars..if u have any ideas share with me...i need your help...
Final Year Projects:- iMacro Technologies provides Real Time Projects for Final year students in following techniques Java J2ee Dot Net WebServer Pro E Embedded Network Security Plagiarism GPS Mobile communication...
i wil gve post on this topic later but first i want a suggestion frm all of u......