Facebook Shuts Down Email & Desktop Messengers: Is It The WhatsApp Effect?

Facebook now seems to be on a killing spree recently. After pulling down curtains on its Facebook retires its troubled @facebook.com email service - The Verge email service, reports suggest that it will be discontinuing its #-Link-Snipped-# and #-Link-Snipped-# messengers from March 3. So what forced Facebook to make these changes so fast? And did the acquisition of WhatsApp have something to do with it?

The aforementioned services from Facebook were not that popular and to some extent they seemed redundant since you could do all the functions from the browser itself. Their demise was sure but the timing seems to raise suspicions in my mind. Has Facebook done this as a part of spring cleaning that all companies do or is it planning to do something radical with WhatsApp, a desktop version may be?

So in this thread, we request to make some assumptive deductions of Facebook’s move and see whether other users agree with your views or not. Go ahead and start posting.

Replies

• Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Does this move affetcs the revenue of Fb to a great extent?
    Is there any new suprise from FB/
  • Satya Swaroop Dash
    Satya Swaroop Dash
    SarathKumar Chandrasekaran
    Does this move affetcs the revenue of Fb to a great extent?
    Well I do not think so because the mentioned services were liabilities rather than assets for the company. No one preferred the facebook mail service due to its over-simplistic nature. Plus people liked to avoid installing the Facebook messenger for Windows because they could do the same work by the browser itself.
  • Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Satya Swaroop Dash
    Well I do not think so because the mentioned services were liabilities rather than assets for the company. No one preferred the facebook mail service due to its over-simplistic nature. Plus people liked to avoid installing the Facebook messenger for Windows because they could do the same work by the browser itself.
    Thanks for the info. I do agree the same.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

i couldn't find a way to install usbasp driver in windows 8.1 64 bit. i'd be greatfull if someone can help me out with this!!!!
Making it possible for people in unprivileged areas with rural communities to have a cheap, low-tech water filtration solution, a team of researchers from MIT have developed a filtration system...
Japan and U.S. have declared the successful launch of a Global Precipitation Measurement (GPM) satellite on Feb 28, 2014. Aboard a H-2A Launch Vehicle No. 23, the rocket was successfully...
Remember '300'? '300' Rise of an Empire - "Villains of 300" is back, If you get a chance to see the movie please share your review... video looks impressive.
A lot of people are opting for online education. With websites like Coursera offering certificates for successful completion (by evaluating you on an online test) for a course on a...