Facebook Messenger Vs. WhatsApp - Which Is Better?

Facebook's clear about their mobile strategy - the more is better. Facebook's announced updated Facebook Messenger that lets you chat without having a Facebook Account. The FB messenger system 'copies' the system that was made popular by WhatsApp messenger. The app will first scan your contact list and make a note of your own phone number. It will then upload all of it to a central server which will let you and others see who's using the app. The messaging between your contacts will be free and that will effectively reduce the SMS. Of course you will have to pay for the data that you use via your 4G, 3G, GPRS or EDGE service.

I just looked at the features FB messenger offers on Android mobile and don't think they've come up with something incredibly new that'd make people switch over from Whatsapp to their messaging service.

Earlier, there were rumours that Facebook was planning to acquire WhatsApp messaging service and integrate it into the FB ecosystem. But that isn't likely to happen anytime now. Looks like FB's going to compte in the markets with their own app that mimics whatsapp.

Which app do you think it better and will be the market leader in mobile to mobile messaging?

Replies

• Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Can't say anything. I've mixed feelings.
    Facebook has above 50 million Android users accessing FB (This was calculated when FB acquired Instagram so it's not accurate), Most Android users use whatsapp right now.
    I feel most of Android users are accessing FB & chatting using its messenger.
    Messaging from whatsapp & chatting with friends from FB messenger is crappy.So, FB is integrating both in single packet. That is good news for FB users. Nice move by Facebook.
    For me, nothing changes.
  • lal
    lal
    Does whatsapp offer an unlimited service now? A year ago when I tried, it offered only a year's free service. Besides I hated that app using my contacts and the way it ate a lot of my resources.

The first thing that happened when I switched my phone ON was to wait for whatsapp server to run ๐Ÿ˜ And ate a lot of my ram too. I used only the Symbian version, don't know about the Android.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Nimbuzz made it big as the popular messaging and social networking client across variety of platform. The company launched NCarry - an ecommerce shop that specialized in mobile phones, tablet...
I'm wondering if a printer with a wireless module which lets it double up as a wireless hotspot is a good idea or not. Because HP's just launched a machine...
can have IT companies Recruitment strategies for freshers ?
Dear Robotix 2013 organising team, We know promoting your event is a good thing, however spamming forums with copy pasted messages from your own website and adding links everywhere isn't...
Microsoft so.cl (read social) is live for everyone. The website's come out of beta from several months of testing. Initially, the so.cl networking was available only to select college students...