Facebook Lite Android App Goes Live On Google Play In Select Developing Markets

Facebook has quietly unveiled a new Android app called Facebook Lite on Facebook Lite - Apps on Google Play in select markets. The Facebook Lite app is meant for countries where people do not have access to high speed mobile internet and have to rely on slow and unreliable 2G connections to access Facebook. As the name suggests, the Facebook Lite app is less than 1MB in size (252kb to be exact) and is quite frugal when it comes to data consumption. Facebook claims that the app loads quicker than the standard Facebook app for Android. The app is available for download to users in Bangladesh, Nepal, Nigeria, South Africa, Sudan, Sri Lanka, Vietnam and Zimbabwe. Unlike the existing Android app whose compatibility varies with different Android versions, the Facebook Lite app works on Android 2.2 and above.

Facebook Lite 1
Facebook Lite 2 Facebook Lite 3 Facebook Lite 4

The folks over at #-Link-Snipped-# point out that users residing in countries other than those mentioned above can still download the app from Facebook Lite 1.0.0.0.0 (noarch) (Android 2.2+) APK Download by Meta Platforms, Inc. - APKMirror. They dug into the Facebook Lite app and found out that it was actually the mobile website of the service with WebView wrapper. This means you can access the smartphone camera from the app and receive push notifications, something that was not possible with the mobile website. Facebook Is Testing A Simple App For Low-End Android Phones • TechCrunch reports that the app has been launched on an experimental basis to compliment Mark Zuckerberg’s Internet.org initiative. People too would love to use the Facebook Lite app as it will allow them to access their Facebook messages within the app itself, something that has gone missing ever since Facebook released the Messenger as a standalone app.

Replies

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Every die-hard science fiction fan in the world has been mesmerized by the concept of teleportation or being able to vanish from one place and appear in a different place...
Facebook and Instagram have gone down. No idea what has caused this but we will be back with updates. Other users are requested to corroborate this fact.
I'd not believe in rumours but this one comes from Forbes: According to journalist Robert Cringely, IBM is going to mass fire about 26% of its total employee base. If...
Hi friends .. i m rehman , b.tech ece passout 2014 with 68% and got seat in PG DESD CDAC HYD. In my B.tech course i got credits 0 in...
The Japanese manufacturer Toyota started manufacturing the Toyota Etios for the Indian automotive market since 2010. The Etios is a four door car and comes in the form of a...