Facebook applications leak users' private information

I just read this news from Times of India.

The Wall Street Journal is reporting that 10 popular Facebook applications have been transmitting users' personal identifying information to dozens of advertising and Internet tracking companies.

The newspaper said that the breach also includes users who set all their information to be completely private. And in some cases, it says, the apps provided access to friends' names.

A Facebook spokesman told the Journal that the company would introduce new technology to contain the breach. It's not clear how long the breach went on.

The paper says Facebook also has taken immediate action to disable all applications that violated their terms. Most apps are made by independent software companies, not by Facebook.

Replies

• Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Update:

Facebook issued a stern warning to independent developers Monday in response to reports that some applications on the site were sharingidentifying information about users.

At the same time, a Facebook engineer said media coverage of the leak has exaggerated how much information can be, and has been, shared with third parties.

What do you think about this people?
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I don't at all regret not being on Facebook.
  • CIVILPRINCESS
    CIVILPRINCESS
    me too biggie 😀
  • Leo
    Leo
    Hi AKD, while on social network you are supposed to stay careful, the thing you just mentioned is already known to many Software Engineers, why any application might ever need to access you private information like e-mail address, telephone number or friend list. When you access any application, you get warning in bold letters, "Allow application to access your private information.". And believe me, which ever application pops out this, may it be built by facebook or any other vendor, has really something to do with advertising, due to this, you get several application request which are not sent by any of the person in your friends list. I have already mentioned before, Play Safe While On Internet, because every 2 of 5 people in facebook are already hacked.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Look at this video and read the description following it. [video=youtube;fXkoIBDXwd8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXkoIBDXwd8&feature=player_embedded[/video] Video from a camera attached to a weather balloon that rose into the upper stratosphere and recorded the blackness...
dobe Systems is expected to announce tomorrow the next version of its Acrobat software, dubbed Adobe Acrobat X. The software will include the free PDF (portable document format) viewing software...
Can using wireless router give common mode surege protection? i have a wireless router and like to know ways to protect router if a lighting strikes in the surrounding area....
Hey guys, I have a very good collection of youtube videos, which i would like to share with you. And i really feel that you should watch these videos atleast...
This is my Wireless Networks (or you can say Mobile Systems/Mobile Communications) Question Paper. I hope this will help some of our CEans. 1. Define the Infrastructure and Ad Hoc...