Explain the term!!!

Hi CEans

I'm starting this thread to gain some basic information about terms involved in all trades.Hope it would be beneficial for all the Ceans ๐Ÿ˜€

Here,one must post the information about the term and post a question.Someone has to give the answer for that term put by the previous person and ask some other question!!
You can post the picture or video along with the information you give for that term!!It would be great if you give some example related to corresponding term.

Things which should not be done:
1.Please dont post thanks,nice information etc.If you want to say thanks just "like" that post.
2.Copy paste from other sites is not allowed here.Write it in your own words.
3.Refrain from using sms text.
4.Make the term bold and the explanation should not be in bold.
5.The explanation of the term should be clear.

I will start with the term "Cryptography"

Cryptography:
It is the process of converting the data into an encrypted form for transmitting over a network(secured or unsecured)The sender encrypts the data at the source end and the receiver decrypts the data at the receiver end.The encrypted data is called as "ciphertext" and it is decrypted into plain text(unencrypted data)using encryption algorithms.

what is Man in the Middle attack??

Replies

• harshajd
    harshajd
    Man in the Middle

As the name suggests, a person will be in between others communication.

For ex: if person A and person B are communicating over non-secure channel, then its possible the data might have been manipulated in between by person C. A will think the data is from B and similarly B will think data is from A.

This type of technique is normally used to gather the information,but mostly for time pass, as now a days confidential data will be encrypted and sent over secure channel
  • Reya
    Reya
    @Harsha:You are supposed to post a question after giving the answer for the question asked by previous person.
  • Sahithi Pallavi
    Sahithi Pallavi
    Steganography :

Steganography is the process of hiding of a secret message within an ordinary message and the extraction of it is at its destination. Where cryptography is just transmitting encrypted message, But Steganography hides that encrypted message too! Since the encrypted data is hidden, no one suspects it exists. So, we can say its a step further than cryptography!

Here is my question for you! ๐Ÿ˜€

What is a kernal?
  • ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    Kernal is nothing but the core of anything. It is also sometimes associated with computers if I am not wrong.

What is Quenching (in terms of metallurgy) ?
  • Varsha0802
    Varsha0802
    In computers, kernel is the core of operating systems. Its that part which runs at all times and is very closely associated with hardware.

And quenching is the process of heating a metal to high temperature and cooling it suddenly.

What is ODBC?
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    ODBC stands for Open Database Connectivity. It is a software interface for accessing database management systems.

Any application can use ODBC to query data from a database by using a driver as a layer between the application and the DBMS. The application thus only needs to know ODBC syntax, and the driver can then pass the query to the DBMS in its native format, returning the data in a format the application can understand.

What is Browser Sniffing?
  • ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    Browser sniffing is a method of identifying as to which browser is a user using. It is mostly employed by web sites. This is necessary because different browsers have different capabilities.
    (The most recent example which I can tell is Biggie once called for not using Internet explorer. I obeyed him Now I am using chrome and I have a good experience. Perhaps he used this technique of browser sniffing, if I am not wrong!)

Can anyone tell me about ' Vapor Degreasing' ?
  • Reya
    Reya
    Vapour Degreasing

Vapour Degreasing is the process of cleaning the parts by condensing hot chlorinated or fluorinated solvent to remove oils,greases and wax from the working pieces.

What is grid computing??
  • maria flor
    maria flor
    Grid computing (or the use of a computational grid) is applying the resources of many computers in a network to a single problem at the same time - usually to a scientific or technical problem that requires a great number of computer processing cycles or access to large amounts of data.
    What is wind bracing???
  • Gurjeet Singh
    Gurjeet Singh
    As i know Wind bracing is the process of Resisting the Wind Load to any wall so that the house can be save from Storms or any heavy snow winds.

Correct me if i am wrong.

What is CORBA?
  • Reya
    Reya
    CORBA:

Common Object Request Broker Architecture enables software components written in multiple languages to communicate with each other, regardless of what programming languages they have written running on multiple computers to work together as a single application.It was developed by Object Management Group.

What is cloud computing??
  • maria flor
    maria flor
    Cloud computing refers to the provision of computational resources on demand via a computer network.
    What is a beam bridge???
  • ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    Beam bridge is any simply supported slab. It is any objects simply supported mostly by vertical columns. Correct me if I am wrong. ๐Ÿ˜€

What is ActiveX? ๐Ÿ˜’
  • aicbal
    aicbal
    ActiveX is a framework where reusable software components is defined in independent way. From these frameworks software components can be composed to provide functionality.

What is Tonnage of AC machine?

#-Link-Snipped-#
  • ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    It is nothing but the amount of ice that would be melted in 24 hours to provide the cooling. Thus, a central air conditioning system that is rated as a 1-ton system would provide the same cooling as melting one tons of ice per day (24-hour period).
    The same is the case with refrigerator also.

It is a very simple question but can anyone tell me "What is a Heat pump?"
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    HEAT PUMP
    A refrigerator or an AC system is also a heat pump. It removes heat from a cooler chamber and delivers to a hotter receiver.
    Heat pumps are used to remove heat from the cold outdoors in winter and deliver warm air inside the room to keep it warm. Since it only 'pumps' heat and not generate it, a heat pump can transfer more heat than an electric heater of the same wattage which actually converts electricity to an exact equivalent quantity of heat.

What is SEEBECK EFFECT?
    Bioramani
  • ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    I will define it in my own words:
    It is the flow of current in two different electrical conductors having a temperature difference.

What is Peltier effect?
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    Peltier effect

It is the reverse of Seebeck Effect. When an electric current passes between two junctions of dissimilar metals, there will be a temperature difference between the two junctions.

What is Ranque-Hilsch Effect?

Bioramani
  • ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    It is a principle for separating compressed gas in cold and hot streams.

I have come across a device operating on the same principle. It is called a voraxial separator. Please also see #-Link-Snipped-#. Correct me if I am wrong.

What is Thompson effect?
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    THOMSON EFFECT

When a current carrying conductor has a temperature gradient parallel to the flow of current, heat is either given off or absorbed in the perpendicular direction by the conductor depending on the direction of current flow. There is no such heat evolution/absorption if the conductor is initially at a uniform temperature.

There is a personal aspect to this Hilsch Tube. Prof.S.Ramaseshan, X ray Crystallographer, prof at IISc, IITM, NAL and lastly Director IISc, Bangalore, wrote the article on Hilsch Effect in the prestigious Handbuch der Physik. I was closely associated with him from 1962 till he died in 2003. In the late 60s he told me about this and made me fabricate one.

It is a fascinating device that separates the low energy (cold) molecules from the high energy (hot) ones by pure centrifugal separation. It used to be a physics curiosity. Now commercial ones are available. Even now I use them for machining difficult plastics.
    The voraxial separator is similar but works on the density difference between two liquids (oil and water). Thanks for the link.Stimulating application.

Now for the question.
    What is a THERMOPILE?

Bioramani
  • ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    Good to read the difference between a voraxial separator and Hilsh tube from you. I want to see it more closely. Thanks for the knowledge.
    Now
    "Thermopile"
    It is a series of thermocouples arranged together. It generates voltage i.e.; electrical signal due to temperature gradient. In simple words, whenever the temperature gradient changes we obtain a electrical signal( Voltage).

What is "Humidostat" ?

I see you are good at heat and electrical concepts. Also tell the names of usually used humidostats in industry (Not compulsory but good to know about the most common ones if they are used).
  • Reya
    Reya
    Humidostat:

A device which is used to measure and control the humidity in the room.It has a sensor to detect the temperature of the room.It is mostly found alongside of air conditioning units,dehumidifiers and humidifiers.The air conditioner senses the temperature of the humidostat and the reading is sent to the remote control which displays the reading.The user adjusts the air conditioner if it is necessary from the reading.

What is Service Oriented Architecture??
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    praveena211
    Humidostat:

A device which is used to measure and control the humidity in the room.It has a sensor to detect the temperature of the room.It is mostly found alongside of air conditioning units,dehumidifiers and humidifiers.The air conditioner senses the temperature of the humidostat and the reading is sent to the remote control which displays the reading.The user adjusts the air conditioner if it is necessary from the reading.
    Not quite. A humidistat, as the name implies must comtrol the relative humidity. What it does is to switch on a Dehumidifier when the measured value rises above the set value. It switches off the dehumidifier when the RH falls below set value over the control band of that instrument. Actually it can be used without an AC also. to control humidity at the ambient temperature.
    #-Link-Snipped-#

By the way since you answered first, how about posing a question?

Bioramani
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    ishutopre
    Now "Thermopile" It is a series of thermocouples arranged together. It generates voltage i.e.; electrical signal due to temperature gradient. In simple words, whenever the temperature gradient changes we obtain a electrical signal( Voltage). .
    A few years back we had discussions with Philips about their invention of an efficient wood stove. Their novelty was adding a sustainable electronics circuit that controlled the combustion of the common chulla. Since it had to work in remote areas, Phlips incorporated a thermopile based thermo electric generator to avoid batteries. it worked on the heat of the stove itself.

#-Link-Snipped-#
    #-Link-Snipped-#
    #-Link-Snipped-#
    #-Link-Snipped-#

Bioramani

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hi CEans If you think that you are good at debugging then why dont you try some of the debugging questions posted below.Post your output along with the correct code.The...
Newton has his own theory for gravity. and Einstein had different views. Lets share knowledge about these two different theories.
hdy,do you have any idea about training in green electronics??????????
Hello Everyone: As an instrument engineer i have to select on/off valves for process lines of half and one inch either electro valves (EV) or Solenoid Operated Valves (SOV) but...
There have been talks of the proposal to make the corporate philanthropy. The proposal says that any corporate with a turnover of over 1000 crore (INR) and profits upwards of...