experimental setup for determining air flow.

Hi all,

i have been assigned, this project to experimentally determine the maximum air delivery (cubic meters/minute) of a 1400 mm sweep ceiling fan, of a particular make.

i do not have much of knowledge in this. all i know is that i have to use an anemometer for this. can anyone here guide me with the correct procedure, and also inform me what equipment and apparatus i would require for this ?

Replies

• Ritesh Patil
    Ritesh Patil
    Hey man, this could actually be a cool project. You first need to study how the ceiling fan delivery air. Ideally, a propeller fan would be much easier to study the delivery of. Because a ceiling fan is different from say a table fan, or an exhaust. A ceiling fan doesn't propel air as much as it stirs the air below it (i suppose). You still can channel the air it displaces and then measure it using the many methods available. I am not an expert on the subject, but I don't think quantifying a ceiling fan on the basis of air delivery in volume/unit time is the right way to study these type of fans.

Yet to do this correctly, you need to determine what kind of air delivery you want to study for your project. If you are looking for absolute air displacement, then you will need to make a shroud around the fan as suggested in the attachment. Making it as long as possible will help as it will yield a more or less consistent air flow in the radial direction. Then using your anemometer, taking velocity readings at a large number of positions near the outlet and average them out giving you the average velocity. This, multiplied by the area of the shroud will give you the air delivery in volume/ unit time.
    ceiling
    You may want to proceed your study with taking reading in different configurations like different lengths of shrouds, position of fan inside the shroud, etc.

All the best on your project.
  • MURTUZA ZAVERI
    MURTUZA ZAVERI
    Ritesh patil

thanks a lot buddy. i have proceeded with the experiment as per your instructions.

i will post my results here, once i am done. thanx again

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Amidst many delays in the past, Google’s Backup and Sync tool is finally available for download for both Mac and Windows. This new tool replaces the existing Google Photos desktop...
i want to develop a game similar to temple run. what API is required for that?
HI all what is the convective co-efficient of the material, with which those plastic tubes meant for administering Intravenous is made of ? can anyone tell me ?
While most flagship smartphones contain top notch features to appease the well-heeled smartphone customer, ASUS has taken a step in another direction and created a smartphone for the niche audience...
We hope all of you had fun participating in the Logo Quiz today. Here is the leaderboard - ​ Let's Congratulate CEan Saurav Rastogi! A Surprize gift awaits you, Saurav....