Every Time An Engineer Joins Google, A Startup Dies.

I read an old but interesting post today on Business Insider (see here: #-Link-Snipped-#)
that got me thinking.

The last line of the article is:
Whenever I see a brilliant kid decide to join Goldman Sachs, McKinsey, or Google, I think to myself: a startup just died, and as a result our world is a little less wealthy, innovative, and interesting.
Do you agree with this opinion?
Do state reasons.

Replies

• Prabu Rajan
    Prabu Rajan
    Definitely yes. Engineers, I feel are picked up by various fields because of the way we think. As engineers, our perception of the world is different. They attract engineers with financial packages much ahead of the normal core companies. An engineer is an innovator. and must not be wasted in a finance or IT companies. There is enough need in the innovation field as such. Think before you join.
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    @Prabhu: I agree with your point. When an innovative engineer joins a company and doesn't work towards building something of his own (not necessarily a company) the world becomes a little less innovative and interesting.
  • ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    Yes the statement is partially correct. But not necessarily always. Every person joining is not talented as to make his own company. If he has even a little confidence in himself, he will never join.

But are we counting people who reject to join google and similar companies?
  • silverscorpion
    silverscorpion
    Hmm.. I dont think so!

First of all, not everyone who joins Google can start their own company. Those who can and those who are confident of themselves usually do start their own venture, regardless of offers from big corporations..
    Secondly, even if a person starts a company and develops it, eventually, it'll mostly be acquired by the big giants.. If that company has any merit, then surely any one or the other company will make offers to acquire it.
    And lastly, what is stopping engineers who join Google from innovating? Doesn't Google innovate? Doesn't Facebook? Innovation is necessary to sustain any big corporation. It doesn't necessarily be useful to the masses.

So, in short, these corporations picking up engineering talent may hamper a few start-ups from being formed, but it certainly wont' be a large number.
  • PraveenKumar Purushothaman
    PraveenKumar Purushothaman
    And moreover, Google is really a great company, which allows the employee to do his own work for about 40% of the office time. Also, the employees are enjoying google. When they are enjoying and also Google is giving a relaxation and support for them in this way, who would like to work for themselves???

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I am very curious about the mobile phone and it's application. In which language the OS and Application are written in? How one can write it's own application for his...
This lecture focuses on basics of DC Machines by Prof. L. Umanand, Principal Research Scientist of Power Electronics Group-IISc Bangalore. Discuss this topic with fellow electrical & electronics engineers, share...
Watch this video to learn about the complete equation of generated EMF across the brushes. The lecture discusses the various forms of excitation, including the permanent magnet, separately excited and...
The lecture completes the discussion on DC generator modelling from the last class and introduces DC motors, which have operational mechanisms and basic concepts similar to those of the generators....
This session is the start of the lecture series on three-phase systems and discusses the two major categories of three-phase circuits: the star and the delta. The lecture also completes...