'Eve' The Robot Scientist From University of Manchester Speeds Up Drug Recovery Process

The speed with which automation is entering the field of science is phenomenal. Robotic scientists of today are capable of conducting experiments, study their observations, interpret & analyze the results and do it all tirelessly on loop till satisfactory results are achieved. This has led to rapid hypothesis-led automated research work. Now a team of researchers from the University of Manchester has developed a robot scientist called 'EVE'. Designed with an aim to speed up the process of drug discovery, Robot Eve can help in identifying promising new drug candidates for various diseases such as malaria, African sleeping sickness and Chagas’ disease.

Pharmaceutical industry fails to completely tackle these tropical diseases that infect millions of people around the world, because the cost & speed required to discover the small molecule drugs is infeasible. Using a robot scientist like Eve, researchers can exploit the technology of Artificial Intelligence to select, screen and separate the compounds that can help in discovering drugs way faster than the existing systems.

robot-scientis-eve-drug-discovery-university-of-cambridge

Eve is designed to automate early-stage drug design. Eve’s robotic system can screen more than 10,000 compounds each day. To improve the process of screening on such mass level, Robot Eve selects a subset of the library at random so as to find compounds that pass the first assay; any ‘hits’ are re-tested multiple times to reduce the probability of false positives. Taking a step ahead, the researchers at Cambridge believe that the future version of Robot Eve would posses the ability to not only discover but synthesise such compounds too.

Take a look at the short video to see Robot Scientist Eve in action -

What are your thoughts about the arrival of robot scientists and their use in drug discovery and their applications in pharmaceutical industry in general? Share with us in comments below.

Source: Artificially-intelligent Robot Scientist ‘Eve’ could boost search for new drugs | University of Cambridge

Replies

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Recent global awareness and talks on climate and environment about measures to be taken to thwart the impending catastrophe owing to global warming and carbon pollution makes one ponder what...
I am working as a whitebox tester in Adobe. No doubt that they offer good salary but as i was working with TCS prior to this and was into development...
Folks,to begin with I am not an engineer. I love to discuss and debate and found the discussions here really interesting and insightful hence decided to join in. I love...
With Acer, it always seems to be about ‘firsts’. Just last year, Acer launched the first Chromebook with 15-inch display. Now, albeit only in India, Acer has announced a new...
The latest addition to its portfolio of innovative cameras is the all-new Samsung NX500, unveiled yesterday by Samsung Electronics Co. Ltd. Sporting an amazing combination of stylish design and advanced...