Entrepreneurship & the problem of sustainability

This post is aimed at discussing the problem of sustainability that every entrepreneur faces. Let me explain the 'sustainability' to those who don't get it. When a venture starts, it's ideally aimed at solving a problem through a product or a service (we'll stick to the technology and related domains for this discussion). However, entrepreneurship, I've began believing is more about 'sustainability' than solving the problem and building a business by offering a solution to the problem.

I may solve a problem that majority of people face; but can I make my solution sustainable? That is, can I make a 'system' that can sustain itself and keep advancing towards its goal? The question here is can the system find all the resources it needs to keep going? Can it find ways to make money and keep growing by adding required resources?

I'd like to have opinions on entrepreneurship being thought of as 'sustainability of a solution' than 'solving a problem'.

Replies

• Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    If entrepreneur is just solving a problem then He is a mere engineer who serves a single problem and then goes into voidance and are seldom known
    EG Deniss Ritchie He solved a problem but did not in any way find a way to propagate the issue

But if entrepreneur finds way of solving a problem and also provides a package that is viable for a longer perio d of time with update and developments He becomes renowned.
    No one else can be an eg for this than Steve Jobs He found a solution but developed his solution built a castle in his garrage that turned into the world's leading firm in the form of APPLE systems
  • barath rajamani
    barath rajamani
    sustainability is important for every company whether it is startups or big old companies coz afterall a company is going to survive only because of its deliverables and if the deliverables are not on par with requirements then itis tough to stay in the business.
    Also when the going gets tough (economically) the company should be able to sail through it without panic or bankruptcy.

"enterprenuer solving problems" is not the only way to go about in business. forecasting and surviving market consitions are required. like for example.. if i develop an android app to solvea particular problem and then call myself as an enterpreneur, then i should be able to see to what extent can i ride on the product in terms of business, monetary, marketability, etc. if my app is only to get 1 million downloads and get famous, then where do i stand in terms of catering to that 1million download, the audience, extra features to provide them with, etc...

so it takes a lot of understanding and involvement for getting anything sustainable..

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

does any one have a deeper idea about the chemistry involved in the oil and gas refining processes.. i do know it is lot of process control and production but...
Forgive me not having read through the fine print in the rules sections, but I see what I'm seeking as fairly harmless. Obviously if I'm in the wrong, mods please...
can any one tell that, to what extent a file can store in the windows?(i.e.what is the max capacity of a file to store the data)
In what way it stores the data in hard disks?
CEans, You're aware that CrazyEngineers is sailing through troubled waters at the moment and that has made us rethink everything we've been doing for the last few weeks. Regular readers...