Entrepreneurship & Need Of Role Models

The life-path of most of the engineering students is very well defined. School - Jr. College - Engineering College/School - Post Graduation - Job - Retirement. The 'crowd' mentality has been a big hindrance in the journey to entrepreneurship. US Government is trying hard to promote entrepreneurship as entrepreneurs are the key drivers of any country's economy.

From my experience, I believe why many engineers refrain from taking up entrepreneurship is mostly because of the lack of role models. When I grew up, my role models were people who always performed 'great' in school & college exams and also got through most prestigious engineering colleges, followed by PG studies from reputed B-Schools & Universities. I seldom had a chance to see someone making his/her own path against the set rules & traditions. It was only the Internet that introduced me to a few people who were entrepreneurial. They motivated me; or should I say, I derived my motivation from them.

I feel sad to see lack of awareness and willingness and confidence to 'starting up' a venture. When I get invited to talk on entrepreneurship at college e-cell events or tech-fests, I see that the attendees are totally clueless about the topic. It reflects from their questions too. No, I'm not saying that one shouldn't ask stupid questions, but asking relevant questions is necessary and common sense.

The awareness for entrepreneurship can only come from watching role models. If you observe cleverly, there are many role models around you. But are you willing to derive your inspiration from them?

Replies

• osantinoo
    osantinoo
    Yes you are absolutely correct!Entrepreneurship is a term that everyone seems to want a piece of these days. Cities, regions, states, universities, and even nations have launched initiatives and invested millions of dollars to promote entrepreneurial culture and attract recognized entrepreneurs to their regions in hopes that wealth and economic prosperity will follow.

The origins of entrepreneurship are the ideas and perspectives that people have and then act upon to create changes that often have profoundly positive economic outcomes. These outcomes are in the form of a robust and expanding economy in the immediate proximity to where the entrepreneurial activities are undertaken.

Awareness starts the process. Curiosity and cognitive thought define the opportunities. Ambition, focus and a willingness to assume risk are the final steps that culminate in the commercialization of novel ideas. Real change is measured by the amount of risk that one is willing to take and knowledge is the key ingredient to gaining comfort with risk.

As you said The awareness for entrepreneurship can only come from watching role models. If we observe cleverly, there are many role models around us.
  • Vishesh Mathur
    Vishesh Mathur
    its not only about awareness but its about doing something meaningful with your life,
    and being an entrepreneur, you will be benefiting the the society in whatever realm of business you go into...
  • Christomoi
    Christomoi
    The awareness of entrepreneurship can only come from watching role models. If you observe clearly, there are many role models around you. But are you willing to derive your inspiration from them
    Now Biggie, that is one thing we Engineers, especially young Engineers, have not come to understand. And that is because, despite the fact that we are youthful and creative, most of us still prefer security to opportunity.

In my opinion, deciding to become an entrepreneur, becoming one and afterwards sustaining the tempo really requires people with shock-absorbing hearts.
    I believe, however, that our generation and those after us will produce even better entrepreneurs than the present and past because we have a better ability to adapt to change than our predecessors. Looking at the times, it is quite obvious that the development around the world within the last 5 years is much more than half the development that occured in the immediate past century.

All we need to become better entrepreneurs are dedicated volunteers. True, it may look like we do not take these volunteers seriously, but these volunteers should just hold on. Soon, the plant will begin to grow and then it will be clear that their efforts were never in vain.

Don't feel sad Biggie, keep on encouraging us. We'll get there
    As for the inspiration, just let the dedicated volunteers keep making themselves conspicuous, soon we will not be able to think of anything else but them

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Earthquake activities occurs everyday all around this world. Because of the fast growing number of buildings..high rise buildings or skyscrapers, it is necessary that these structure will ensure safety or...
There are many final year engineering students here on CrazyEngineers. If you've been placed through campus recruitments, we'd love to know where you've been placed. 😀
CEans, There's a growing interest in attending CE Meets and CEans are ready to travel to attend the meet. This calls for arranging our first ever all-India meet. This thread...
Starting up on your own is full of awesome experiences and it's even more interesting to watch how your family, friends, relatives react to your decisions. Share your own experiences...
Can we collect all the upcoming B-Plan competitions around the world so that all interested engineers, wannabe-entrepreneurs can benefit and prepare well in advance for them? 😀