English Is Not The 'Official Language' Of Majority Of The World

When CE started, I thought the world spoke English and adopting it for the sake of all the communication here on CE would bring us lot of engineers. Lately, I've been researching the adoption of English all over the world as 'official language'.

Here's the map I found on Wikipedia (Source: File:english As Official Language Map.png )

English-Speaking-Countries

It appears that English has not been adopted as the official language in most of the world. Look at the adoption of English in Europe, South America, Africa, Russia and China.

Now, what's more surprising is that: English is no way connected to the overall development and progress of these nations. China, the dominant manufacturing hub is far from adopting English - and it's not hindered their growth. I wonder how their engineers work without English. The same goes with Europe where Germans do just fine in Engineering without English. Same story with Japan - does fine without English. I wonder why Indians force their kids into learning English as the first language. Wondering what if local languages are given preferences in education (like the Europeans, Japanese, Germans, Russians, Chinese and South Americans do); will it make a significant difference to the education?

Also, I wish to question - if English is being adopted as a language of business all over the world (that's what it's usually believed), why isn't the majority of world adopted it? Or is the adoption in progress?

Your thoughts, please?

Replies

• Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    As per me the people who havent adpoted the language are self sufficient and self confident of their people so that they can live and rule without adopting foreign language but do business.

I think Japanese dont want to talk in English, since its a developed country they would have learnt/adopted long ago if they want to.
  • Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    Very interesting !

Just thinking that what do we mean by the Business Adopted. If this is the Business Adopted language that means that people do know that language on a scale where they can communicate with the business partners. How did those folks learn English if its not their in those countries?

Map is showing that in China / Russia / Greenland / Brazil and Argentina we do not have English adoption. Do you think this is correct?

What was the parameter for the adoption of the ENGLISH. Even in India I do not find a single state where general people speak to each other in English. English in India is used in only two scenarios:
    - Business places
    - When two people from different state meet and do not know the common language then they use may business language to communicate

If that's the case, then why the India is painted in green and Russia and China are not.

something looks 'NOT' so correct to me.

-CB

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Sir i hardly have no idea regarding Smart Notice Board! But i think if i do my final year project on it will also be useful for my college. is...
​Torrents have always been difficult to manage as they must be seeded time and time again to keep them healthy. A torrent download must pass through a secondary gateway on...
Q. Draw an Elephant. Answer: Very simple - without making any assumptions, you see. Here's the elephant drawn -
Does wearing a tie in an interview by a fresher over-emphasize the formal wear? DO we look desperate that way? **Asked by a friend of me.. The_Big_K: Your views on...
I am Having imbedded graphic card of 256MB. I need few games which can work on mine!!!!!!!!!!!! Help Please!!!☕