Engineers Without Borders - Making way for Change

Recently while reading I came across the work of non-governmental organization called:
'Engineers Without Borders'
This organization is based on engineering and is oriented towards international development work.
All of these groups work to serve the needs of disadvantaged communities and people all over the world through engineering solutions.

Until now, following different projects have been taken up in India alone.

Rasoolpura Slum Development Project at Hyderabad

EWB-India Hyderabad Chapter in partnership with an NGO, Bhumi, has decided to undertake slum improvement work, starting with a pilot project at Rasoolpura, situated in the heart of the city. An open sewage canal passes right across the slum and overspills into the houses each time there is a heavy downpour. The canal also carries toxic pollutants from a nearby industrial area. Lack of proper sanitation and hygiene are additional causes of many diseases prevailing in the area. Due to the high level of poverty a large percentage of children are engaged in child labour.

Solar Power Plant for Rural School

KRUSHI is a home for children, who are housed, educated and integrated with the main stream of the society. It is a project of “Association Saikorian - an Alumni Association of the Students of Sainik School, Korukonda, Visakhapatnam, Andhra Pradesh, India. It is a registered society, head quartered at Hyderabad.
It is planned to install a solar power plant to meet the electric power needs of this residential school for children from low income families near Hyderabad. This is being taken up by a team of consultants and several EWB-India Professional Members, working for Infotech.

Mobile Bio-Solartech Unit for Water Purification
Briquette technology is simple to understand and implement. It is emerging as a popular area for Small Enterprises. EWB- India aims to train NGO’s and other similar groups in a knowledge sharing exercise for widespread use of this technology and establishment of micro-enterprises. We are also researching ways in which an efficient and effective Briquette Technology Kit can be developed and delivered to include bio-coagulants in their portfolio in the battle against unsafe water and child mortality amongst the poorest of the poor.

Replies

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hello CEans. I need help with picking out a phone. The features i need are: MP3 player!(must have great/good quality earphones/sound quality) Video (3gp or mp4) player Bluetooth (of course)...
As the Safari Web browser on MacBook has no support for Adobe Flash Player, we have to install the plug-in and surf around the web with pages that are loaded...
Google Instant makes search faster by displaying not just predictions but actual search results as you type. This saves valuable time on a desktop browser. Google has made available the...
Firesheep is an add-on for Firefox that can let anyone scan through open Wi-Fi network and steal account information of users. Account details of websites like Twitter, Facebook, Yelp, Hotmail...
any one having info regarding company hcl comnet. i am btech fresher and got mail from their side for technical support non-voice job.. i want to know about selection procedure...