Engineering should not be a 4 year course!

I know few people who think engineering can be compressed into two year course and people who think it should be minimum 5 years.

What's your opinion and why?

Replies

• ethical hacker
    ethical hacker
    I think engineering should'nt be justified on how much
    time we study but try to give more stress on how and what we study.
    I think four years is good to get accustumed on the topic you study..so four is better
  • lakhan
    lakhan
    To be more efficient engineer in my point of view, he has to decide it after his completion of tenth class and do diploma.
  • optimystix
    optimystix
    i dont agree with lakhan in his opinion that to become a better engineer one needs to do diploma after 10th grade. diploma is all about jack of all trades master of none kinda business. Moreover, a good engineer should be having sound knowledge about everything around him. things like maths, workshops and all those things can really be helpful later in life. those things go a long way in making one independent of others.
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    I think 4 years is alright. Though it does depend on content of the course. I feel a course like Mechatronics needs a little bit more time, since learning both mechanical and electrical in a short time is quite of a struggle.

I can't imagine how difficult it is to set the right syllabus to balance out all the requirements. The right amount of time dedicated to learning materials, tutorials, labs, seminars and industry internships, etc. In addition, different students learn with different styles and speed. For sure there are people out there who can complete a degree in 2 years, as well as others who take longer but still be top students.
  • Manish Goyal
    Manish Goyal
    I think it is right to have 4 years course because Engineering is about tackling problems and solving them.This 4 years course is not about learning engineering concepts it also includes skills that we learn during this course and several other factors that must occupied by an engineers
  • lal
    lal
    I dont think there is any need to make it 5 years or cut down to 2 years. Its ok now wth 4 years.
  • Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    For me, 4 yrs are just perfect.

In first 1.5 years you develop attitude to juggle with problems, next 1.5 years you learn engineering. In last year you get opprutunity to implement your creative ideas. For me, in anything lesser then that we will miss either attitude or knowledge or idea implementation part.

Your take on this.

-CB
  • silverscorpion
    silverscorpion
    I beg to differ.
    I think Engineering is all about problem solving and innovation. Nobody is paying heed to that part anymore.

According to me, it'll be better to increase the engineering course by one year. If that's too much, then at least, we can increase it by half year (one semester). During that one semester, some practical industrial exposure can be given.
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    If its about suggestion here's mine.

Keep it four years, reduce number of subjects not 6 /sem. Its crazy to expect students to master all 6 in a semester, instead 3/4 with loads of practical application.
    May be merger and deletion of unneccasery and obsolete topics can be done to brign up meaning ful syllabus.
  • Sahithi Pallavi
    Sahithi Pallavi
    4 years is alright! And I agree with durga.

Unnecessary subjects and waste topics have to be removed!
  • maria flor
    maria flor
    Here in Philippines engineering is a five year course. Here, on the first,second and third year is almost all the subject is about problem-solving. Like me in civil engineering its all about solving problems in algebra,calculus,differential,surveying,mechanics during my 1st,2nd and this first semester of 3rd. and also in third year we do have a review for preparation for the board exam and in the last two years is all about major subjects such as structural design. Therefore, I think that 5 years is really enough in studying engineering to be more better and a global competitive engineer.
  • narayana murthy
    narayana murthy
    i think 4 years will be fine
    but concentrating in specified course is better by deleting unnecessary subjects and going more deep in the subject matters is good

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

installing linux over vista in dell .linux is start but for vista message is boot mng missing ctrl+alt+del restart.i want to know about this?
I want to know 1)Which is the most demanding (in India or abroad)among embedded,vlsi & dsp? 2)which subjects i should brush up with for these fields? 3)apart frm these &...
I got this problem through SMS. Am not able to solve this. Lets see, our CEans will solve this? Here it is : The fishermen love me. But Doctor hate...
[FONT="]Hello developers, CodeFest in association with British Telecom and TCS presents RAD - Ribbit Application Development: Lets write the future of communication. It is a completely online month long event...
Dear all, i have this situation: i need my robot to move a distance X cm along a straight wall of length Y m (the length is of no concern,...