Engineering Disciplines Are Just Labels - Agree Or Disagree?

Electrical, Mechanical, Chemical, Structural, Computer ... are all just labels that an engineer gets after graduating as an engineer. But in fact, an engineer is just an engineer capable of solving the problems through application of logic and technical skills. I graduated as an Electrical engineer but have been working 'like a' software/IT/CS/networking engineer for most of my professional life. I never faced any problem; because I always felt I'm *special* because I'm an engineer 😉

Your opinion, please?

Replies

• Anuj Aggarwal
    Anuj Aggarwal
    I agree with you but I think it is always easy for any electrical or mechanical engineering graduate to move towards IT since there are a no. of subjects related to IT ( for example C/C++) which are there in all other engineering disciples during their college. But if an IT guy starts learning about electrical machines( from Electrical Engineering) or Hydrolics( from MECHANICAL), I can assure you he will bang his head into the wall ( but exceptions are always there). So I think when it comes to migrating from Core fields such as Electrical to IT, it is quite easy but vive-versa is quite difficult. So according to me Engineering Disciples are there for some reason and are not just labels....
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    This is one way process that people can easily migrate from other trades to IT trade companies.
    IT companies are hiring much more than any other core field and most of them train to selected condidates for a year.And there are enough candidate are available for other core compnies to hire from their core trade.
    For example Infosys hire candidate and so restrict in training that they fire the condidate which fail its training exams.
    I can say that these people from other trade or not from very college are not going to work on core software R&d division.
    For R&d division most probably they look for CS/IT guys from reputed colleges.
    In almost every IT company campus selection time they just look at their "Analytical" abilities and attitude.
    I remember, there is only one company which selection criteria was programming and they gave one program to write in one hour.Quite possible they ware looking for just development guys.
    Problem is our educational system of engineering (not talking about IIT) are not so well to produce R&D guys in CS and there are only few companies which works on core software development.
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    I go a lot beyond just education. We all labour under a plethora of labels.
    I am a son, man, father, husband, grand father, Sr.V.P., scientist, Chemical engineer, Tamil, Brahmin, Iyer, Indian, thin, Ramani etc., etc.,
    Who then am 'I'? #-Link-Snipped-#
    All labels are limiting. Let us not let some acronyms after the name stop us from realising all that we can.
  • Anuj Aggarwal
    Anuj Aggarwal
    I think Mr. Ramani has enlightened me and provided me a new way of thinking......

Thank You Sir

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

can anybody give a clear explanation about 'r' and 'l' value error in c.....
https://view.email.globalspec.com/?j...11175&jb=ffcf14&ju=fe2015797d600274751c72&r=0
https://news.nationalgeographic.com/...ggest-crocodile-early-humans-science-animals/
my name is anurag and I'm doing B.Tech in Electronics and communication. I stay in Delhi and I'm pursuing my B.Tech degree in Kerala. I like to listen songs and...
Can someone give me a bird's eye view of the MVC (Model-View-Controller) architecture typically used in software design? I've been looking for simpler definitions online but looks like people need...