Emergency vehicle alarm & Misc

I have a project idea and could use a few ideas or thoughts to get started. I am not questioning the practicality of any of these ideas right now I just want them to work as a learning experience and something to do as possible capstone projects for school.

* I want to be able to detect an approaching emergency siren from the inside of my car, and when it is in a specific range to pick up the frequency I want it to shut off my radio.

*Alert system to awaken someone if they fall asleep at the wheel. I can only assume the idea to maybe monitor the average corrections made to the steering wheel per minute.... use those numbers as reference. Use a micro controller to measure the persons frequency when it comes to wheel corrections...and alarm when the corrections per minute fall below your specification... meaning they are asleep. If that makes any sense.

* I want a good way to set up a surveillance system maybe just using a webcam and have it on a server and be able to use my cell phone to view the surveillance from anywhere I may be. Any ideas for this would be great.

Replies

• xheavenlyx
    xheavenlyx
    I really didnt get what the first one is for and why? when you can actually hear the siren and just push the radio to off with a flick of a switch! Or if you want to do this for learning then yes, you can have a system on the outside of a car which can detect sirens and calculate the appropriate switch off time. This might use advance PC software to analyze sound.

But...

*Alert system to awaken someone if they fall asleep at the wheel. I can only assume the idea to maybe monitor the average corrections made to the steering wheel per minute.... use those numbers as reference. Use a micro controller to measure the persons frequency when it comes to wheel corrections...and alarm when the corrections per minute fall below your specification... meaning they are asleep. If that makes any sense.
    This one is bloody awesome! and I suggest you take some technical help instead of telling people the exact use and then patent this or just sell it. Just a sugestion since I am kinda against patenting technical know-how.

Anyway, the best way would be to make this an external device that can be fit under the staring wheel. It can contain a rotating potentiometer or optical potentiometer or mechanical pot, any of these three connected to a microcontroler which can calculate your average turns and/or movement.

BUT REMEMBER: this device can give many false alarms since you might be on a straight road, or even if u fall asleep, just about a few seconds are needed for a disaster!! So there has to be some other system like detecting yellow line drifting etc.

As for:

* I want a good way to set up a surveillance system maybe just using a webcam and have it on a server and be able to use my cell phone to view the surveillance from anywhere I may be. Any ideas for this would be great.
    There are many similar projects people have done, so google this.
  • matpac1
    matpac1
    The whole point of that first one is so when you dont hear it coming it turns it off. I have this problem in real life. I listen to my radio loud enough that whenever an ambulance coems behind me I never know until its right up on me. So yea this is a practical design at least for me personally and if someone could really help me get started or elaborate more on that I would be appreciative.

The steering wheel project is a good idea it just has so many pitfalls and room for "what ifs" you know what I mean.
  • xheavenlyx
    xheavenlyx
    True that, good you confirmed that you go through that problem, actually the main problem in checking sound is there is a lot of noise out there and filtering just the ambulance sound can be a problem.

well you can try this in the shortest amount of time....get MATLAB from somwhere, read about it. Have a laptop. get a mic outside of your car and start recording sounds. If you just do the recording part and send me the sounds I could rite a program to extract the lauder odd noises and try to extract them. that will be the first step.

While I do that read about MATLAB and what it does, look around in this forum too, about matlab.

And yea the stearing wheel, we can delay that for the moment. Lets concentrate on this first.
  • Jerry
    Jerry
    Do you think measuring the average number of corrections made to the wheel per minute to check if the person is sleeping is a good idea? I think there can be a better way. Let me think about it for some time.
  • matpac1
    matpac1
    Well I am trying to take on this steering wheel idea. I was thinking of maybe using a magnetic hall sensor or something of that nature. A potentiometer? I do not know. Whatever it is needs to communicate with a microcontroller that will ultimately end up driving another 'alert' circuit.

Another thing I am looking for info on is an RFID reader to use with my old street sign idea I could REALLY use a person who knows a good amount about this but really help with that steering wheel idea if possible. The whole idea is there is

Put RFID tags, rather than LEDs, on the street signs.

Have an RFID reader in the car.

The data in the tag would represent the syllables of the street name.

The reader would receive this data and announce it.

The project would use an RFID tag and reader similar to one in the projects last year. A micro would accept the syllable data from the tag, and send it syllable by syllable to a chip called a Digitalker, and the analog output of the Digitalker would feed into a small audio amplifier and speaker.
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Hey there, matpac. For the ambulance thing, why not keep it simple and find out what the frequencies for the ambulance siren are, and use some sorta bandpass op-amp filter to detect them?

Its interesting to see if you use that hall sensor.. car companies at times use it for power steering I believe. Anyway, lets look at the situation. You'd want to detect when the driver is sleeping yea. What happens to the human body? maybe the heart beats decrease, or the grip on the steering wheel lessens (pressure sensor)? or you know how sometimes the eyes can reflect light (like in nightvision cameras, or that red-eye effect in cameras).. perhaps you could detect when the eyes are shut. The possibilities 😀
  • xheavenlyx
    xheavenlyx
    The data in the tag would represent the syllables of the street name.

The reader would receive this data and announce it.

The project would use an RFID tag and reader similar to one in the projects last year. A micro would accept the syllable data from the tag, and send it syllable by syllable to a chip called a Digitalker, and the analog output of the Digitalker would feed into a small audio amplifier and speaker.
    Again another awesome idea! To elaborate on this, in short, a system which reads out the street name on your radio 😀 Thats possible and the only thing will be interfacing the RFID system on both ends, TX and RX. there are readymade modules available so check your local market.

Tell me which microcontroler system will you be using?

Dubai electronics is pure shi*. They charge 2000 ruppes for a mini-servo!!!!!

and as ash put it, for the steering wheel, you have to measure some kind of body motion or sign that indicates sleep!! do some research on that too, how human sleep works, the stages.
  • matpac1
    matpac1
    Well, I have settled on this steering wheel project. I am really looking for help, input anything. I will be doing this for a while and will be posting rather often. I thought about monitoring the period of "steering wheel corrections" so lets say a person makes an average of 200 wheel corrections (big, small, any) well that will be programmed as the standard value and at any point if the amount of wheel corrections falls below that period i specified, then sound an alarm.

I do not care about the pitfalls or practicality of the project I just really need to get this idea in progress. I was thinking of how I am going to be able to measure the period of wheel corrections..... I so far have thought of a magnetic sensor of some type to detect the wheel movement AKA changes.

Any ideas of a sensor, appropriate micro?

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

If u want to animate or flash airticle on net What will u do???😔
hi , will anyone please guide me to prepare a seminar report on "direct shift gearbox".
hi......I'm in the final year BE.....wanted some ideas for final year projects....please give some new ideas.........any domain will do...........
Can any one explain me what is wwindow size. Is it fixed for a particular OS. If at all it changes what is the criteria.
Hi guys, I was just wondering whether anybody here has any experience of vapour phase reflow soldering, and if so what would be the typical price for a piece of...